Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Best Alz. Wander GPS monitoring service

Does anyone use Medical Guardian

or Angelsense GPS locator wandering

monitoring? If so are either any good ?

Thanks for any help or assistance in this

matter, my wife has just started wandering.

Ron

Comments

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Hello Ron and a very warm welcome to you.   Can you tell us about your wife'ss dementia and your living situation and also her wandering challenges, that would be helpful.

I have no experience with the two entities you mention, you will get other input perhaps from those who have used either those two companies or perhaps a different one. If we know more about your wife and your situation, we can perhaps be of more assistance.

J.

• Ron67
    Ron67 Member Posts: 4
    First Comment

J.

My wife was diagnosed with Alz.

1.5 yrs. ago. My 1st experience with

wandering was Tuesday and see was

located in the neighborhood 2 hrs. later

I am the sole caregiver, son is 500 miles

away. Amanda is 75 and I am 73.

Hope this is an appropriate history.

Just hunting for a good GPS company

(carrier) for wanders tracking.

Respectfully,

Ron

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • MaryG123
    MaryG123 Member Posts: 393
    100 Comments 5 Likes

Hi Ron,

I can’t speak from experience, but here is a link with a good discussion about trackers.

https://www.alz.org/help-support/caregiving/safety/technology-101

If she takes something with her, like a purse, phone, or specific shoes, you can put a tracker, like the Tile brand on that object.  If she will wear a bracelet, you can at least have an ID on her with your contact info.  I’m so sorry this happened.  It must have been very frightening.

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Hello Ron, thank you for the information.  This can be such a worriesome dynamic and I can surely understand your concern.

I have not used the monitoring systems you mention; but in the meantime, there are some things you can do for safety while deciding which system you may wish to try.

There is the, "Confounding Door Lock," which is mounted high on the exit doors, or even down low if one wishes; it keeps the lock out of the sight line of the Loved One with dementia.  Here is a link:

https://www.alzstore.com/confounding-door-lock-p/0247.htm

One can also purchase door alarms for the exit doors that go off if the door is opened, or buy alarm pads that sound if one steps on  them; these can be put in front of the door.

Also, some police departments have elder tracking monitoring systems they can use with family.  You can contact your nearby department to find out what they may or may not have.

Many police departments have an elder notification system on  their computers. One can have their address and their names as well as description and issue of their Loved One entered, so if something happens or wandering occurs, the information can go out to all cars very swiftly.  Some of these programs also can have photos of the Loved One so identification is easy.

It is a good idea to have a recent photograph of your wife so if anything negative occurs, you can provide one to those who are assisting.  There are also tracking devices not only in watches, but in shoes; how successful these have been over time, I do not know.

Let us know how things are going; we will be interested in hearing what you decide.

J.

• Ron67
    First Comment
    Thank you
  • Ron67
    First Comment
    Thank you
  • Arrowhead
    Arrowhead Member Posts: 361
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    I downloaded an app on both of our phones called "Life360" that shows on a map where the person is, but it only works if they take their phone with them and has it turned on. 
    I also put alarms on the doors.

When going to a friend's house, I have a portable locking device to put on the door, You can find it on Amazon. I attached pictures.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

"There is the, "Confounding Door Lock," which is mounted high on the exit doors, or even down low if one wishes; it keeps the lock out of the sight line of the Loved One with dementia."

I used a simple sliding door lock, installed about 6 or 8 inches above my wife's eye level. It worked very well for a month or so, then one day she happened to see it. By the next day, she didn't remember, and it worked very well again.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more