Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Medicaid beds

ElCy
ElCy Member Posts: 151
Fourth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

I’m searching for MC for DH and know that I can only pay for 2 years. I can’t find anyplace that offers Medicaid beds if need be. Is this common that I will have to move him to a different facility in the future?

There may be one about 45 miles away. Is it better for me to be closer to him for the next two years and worry about Medicaid later?

Comments

• Gig Harbor
    Gig Harbor Member Posts: 564
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    I would get him into a facility that will take Medicaid when the time comes. Most Medicaid beds are given to patients who have had some years of self pay. If you have to try to move him in two years you may not find anyplace. If you have to place him farther away now it might be that you don’t visit as often but better to have him somewhere that will keep him when his money runs out.
  • MN Chickadee
    MN Chickadee Member Posts: 872
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions
    Many places have unwritten policies on Medicaid. It is not advertised, but some will let you stay if you have been private pay for a certain amount of time, often two years. Definitely ask every place you tour. Sometimes a continuing care campus, like senior living with many levels IL, AL etc , will allow the person to move from the memory care unit to the skilled nursing unit when funds run out and will then accept Medicaid.  Definitely consult a reputable elder law attorney. They can help with planning for Medicaid to protect you as the community spouse as best as possible and many attorneys will have a handle on what facilities will take Medicaid and how it all works in your area. There are also strategies for spending down you will want to know about to get the most out of your resources.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I think people suggested in another thread that you see a CELA. The post from Chickadee should reinforce the importance of that.

Do you live anywhere near toolbeltexpert, Stewart? If so, he may be able to give you some information on different facilities that could be in your area.

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Ed I wished I could be of more help to Elcy , the places I toured are just a little to far, Elcy is 70 miles east of me, M1 is closer. What she is going thru however is very fresh in my mind, the sudden changes, geripsych, placement. Bam bam bam, so many things that need to be accomplished. The frustration of navigating medical things, then Medicaid, I wasn't  prepared for any of it. One day it all fell apart, I thought dw would be home until, incontinence hit, non verbal, some medical emergency, I didn't see the quick unseen things. 

Grief, loneliness the empty house ect. I know how that feels as so many of you do. 

I want to lift people up, the Bible says that we comfort others with the comfort we have received. This group offers it because of that very reason that many of you went before us. We all need the practical information, we also need to know others really care about us.

May the light of God direct us all today. May we be comfort for all who are reading but haven't posted. 

Stewart

• PastorB
    PastorB Member Posts: 20
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

Hi EICy, finding Medicaid beds on your own is a challenge to be sure. I would suggest starting with the Medicaid website https://www.medicare.gov/care-compare/?providerType=NursingHome&redirect=true. Accepting Medicaid is public information even if the facility tries to hide it. Some have a certain number of Medicaid beds. Others want the patient to be admitted from a hospital since they seem to get a higher reimbursement that way. I found the facility my DW is in through this means - they accept private pay and I have the assurance that when the funds are spent, I don't need to move her.

Best to you. If you do have to switch to Medicaid, may I also recommend finding a good elder lawyer? You will want to have a lawyer well versed in Medicaid look at your situation before you need to go to Medicaid. The good thing is the lawyer's fees can be deducted from anything Medicaid requires to be "spent down" before it picks up the bills. See the lawyer before you've spent all reserve funds, not after. It's tricky business and not territory I recommend venturing into on your own.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more