Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

What can you do for yourself that has nothing to do with caregiving?

Ed1937
Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I understand that it is hard to find time yo do things for yourself, but if you can find time, do something that you enjoy.

Since my wife passed, I have the time to do what I want. I used to do photo restoration (just for myself) with Photoshop. I no longer have Photoshop, but I downloaded Gimp, an alternative which is impressively capable. It is much like Photoshop, but has differences. I am now taking a course in Gimp to pick up on the differences, and refresh my memory on the similarities.

Do something for yourself, if possible. I'd be interested in what your interests are/were.

Comments

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,776
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

I became a docent at our art museum. My formal education is in art history. I also started to paint, I found being with people who did not know me especially helpful.

Now a question.....I have Picasa on my old Windows 7 and would like to move photos  to Win 10. I like to crop and organize. Would Gimp be good? 

• Ed1937

Hi Judith. Gimp would be good, but it has a long learning curve. If you already knew Photoshop, it would not take as long to learn. But there are probably better (and easier) programs that would fit your needs if all you want to do is crop and organize (and/or make minor enhancements). In fact Google photos (free) should do what you want. Here is a video from 3 years ago, so some things may have changed slightly, but watch the video to see if you don't think it will do what you want. Organizing Old Photos with Google Photos 

From what I'm reading, Google is putting a 1TB limit on free storage very soon, So if you see it is only 15GB, I think you can disregard that, although that may be the limit at this time. Note the different quality you can choose when saving. Let me know what you think.

• Judi57
    Judi57 Member Posts: 61
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Comments

I walk every morning for 1.3 miles.  I start before the sun comes up.  We live in a small development, so I'm perfectly safe.  Although I think the deer wonder what I'm doing up that early.  

I've also picked up knitting again.  Something quiet I can do while he sleeps.  And with colder weather arriving, it's a nice indoor activity.

• Arrowhead
    Arrowhead Member Posts: 361
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    My son-in-lawn gave me a model pirate ship which I mostly have completed. But first, I want a base to display it on so I'm making one out of paper mâché. I also write a lot, mostly my theories on different subjects. I'm also writing a novel.
  • ThisLife
    ThisLife Member Posts: 254
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    Might seem a little strange but I work.  I'm semi-retired. Moved from NV to FL because son wanted us closer. In NV my employment was virtual due to covid. I loved the job.  They have returned to in person.  However, my employer has allowed us to choose virtual or in person. So, I'm able to continue working. I also Zoom or speak by phone to several NV friends weekly or a couple of times per month.  I joke that my life is now virtual.
  • sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 749
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    I also work. My dh is in memory care, so I'm also taking music lessons. I'm a way better student now than I was as a kid.
  • GothicGremlin
    GothicGremlin Member Posts: 844
    Fifth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

I work too, but I needed to cut back so that I could be more flexible. My sister Peggy is in memory care now so I have a little more time. Flexibility is still key though.

For only myself?  I make sure I go to the gym a few times a week. I do regular strength training, boxing and kick boxing (which I love).

Like Arrowhead, I'm also writing a novel. NaNoWriMo (national novel writing month) starts tomorrow, Nov 1.  The goal is to have a draft novel, start to finish, 50,000 words, by the end of the month.

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,413
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

I retired due to needing to be available for my parents, my spouse, and my sons.  I was being called away from work too often.    I sew quilt tops, and I read.   I take the completed quilt tops to a long arm quilter and they sew the top, the batting(padding)  and backing layers together and I pay them.  

Sometimes  I even clean my house.  

• MaryG123
    MaryG123 Member Posts: 393
    100 Comments 5 Likes
    I grow flowers.  This year I’m learning about native wildflowers, seed collection, and propagation.
  • Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

During the dementia years:   Writing, had two stories published; did some stitchery, and loved going to the ocean when I had an opportunity to do so; only 20 minutes away and it gave me much needed peace of spirit simply to sit there and breathe for awhile.  Also love to read but did that mostly at night.

Early dementia days I worked; but as things got dicier, left a loved job where I was on track to promote further and began my own QI audit review consulting business for Home Health, Hospice, Hospitals, etc.  That let me accept assignments or not, and also let me have my own hours and ability to leave during the day as necessary to take two different LOs with dementia and other healthcare issues to their myriad doctor's appointments.  That took a lot of pressure off as well as permitting me to continue doing something I really enjoyed. Later, that too had to be left.

Walked for exercise and in earlier days did "hell bent on leather," water aerobics which were really enjoyable.

J.

• 60 falcon
    60 falcon Member Posts: 201
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Likes

During my caregiving time, I was forced to give up all the hobbies and activities that I enjoyed, just didn't have the time. I used to hunt and fish a lot, and I spent a lot of time working on old cars, from bodywork and painting to engines etc.  Back then my little 1960 Ford Falcon (my screen name) was going to be the next project and had plans to build it into a hot rod maybe.

Now that I have time, not much interests me.  I'm still lost and hurting.  This makes no sense to me, but I somehow feel guilty for possibly allowing myself to do something fun or interesting or even to eat something really good.  This effing nightmare killed my wife and damaged me. I'm getting tired of pretending to be ok when I'm not.... Remember that commercial where people hold up a smiley face in front of their own when they're talking with people, that's me.

Enough of that...I am beginning a new hobby.  I'm going to learn flint knapping (making arrowheads etc out of flint/stone).  That does interest me and it should be a challenge to learn.  I'll get through this grief over time I hope.  

• Ed1937

Falcon, there are a few of us here going through the same thing. I'm working on five months since my wife passed, and I'm just now getting to the point where I'm wanting to do something. I had absolutely no interest in doing anything, but I feel like I might be making a slow recovery now. It has been hard, and it will continue to be hard, but we'll all make it. One day at a time, friend.

Flint knapping sounds interesting.

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    I like physical exercise such as running, hiking and the gym. During the first summer of covid, while DW was still home, I took up Pickleball because it was another outdoor activity. It was a lifesaver for me;  providing exercise, socialization and stress relief all in one.
  • Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    I am still working, and my work is intellectually stimulating and provides a lot of social contact.  Away from work, I play tennis twice a week, take the dog to do pet therapy, and read novels to enter into other worlds.
  • JosephSelden
    JosephSelden Member Posts: 1
    First Comment
    I walk 2 miles/day in the morning. Are you seeking for academic papers to use in your exam preparation? Furthermore, you haven't yet come across any publications or other resources that may help you with your study. Therefore, don't be concerned; I glanced at this https://studyclerk.com/custom-research-paper post on custom research papers. With the help of the material on this website, you may hire a skilled academy instructor for yourself. Additionally, you may ask them for help with your academic research and writing. The lecturers here are all majors with years of experience.
  • John_inFlorida
    John_inFlorida Member Posts: 51
    10 Comments Second Anniversary
    I've been walking 3 1/2 to 5 miles most mornings before she gets up, at least I get some exercise and fresh air, as we aren't able to get out much
  • Battlebuddy
    Battlebuddy Member Posts: 331
    100 Comments Third Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

There is all manner of crafty/ artistic activities I could be doing. The artistic ones that take deep thought I just don’t have the brain to do. It’s as if the caregiving has just taken up so much of my brain there is not room for much else. 

So I find the thing that has been really good for me at this stage of life is restoring/ painting furniture. I find there is just enough thought that goes into it. When I’m sanding a piece, the action is very mindless and therapeutic.  I’ve done a bunch of pieces that were complete junk, out in someone’s garbage, and now they are restored and being used in someone’s home. Very satisfying. 

• Stella Luna
    Stella Luna Member Posts: 50
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Comments
    I play tennis and hit the ball as hard as I can. The exercise and socialization that tennis provides is my therapy. Playing the piano and meditation have helped me too.
  • toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Last night I went to a community Thanksgiving meal, there are 4 churches who celebrate together, Baptist, Church of God and Methodist. It was good for me, I missed my wife not being there, but I enjoyed being with my brothers and sisters in Christ. I had tetter toddered at the house whether to go or not. Glad I did. Came home with some famous smoked ribs from a lady at our church. 4 members drove up to the memory care to visit with my dw yesterday, I am greatful for my church family. There are several who visit regularly. It's a 40 mile ride one way for them. This is the first thing I have done where I did not come home feeling miserable. One day at a time.
  • Leaderoftheband
    Leaderoftheband Member Posts: 18
    10 Comments
    If the weather is nice I ride my bicycle in the morning before my DW gets up.  If the weather is not so good I go to the gym.  I am fortunate because she is not into wandering yet.  When and if that becomes a problem I plan to dust off the 6 string and relearn what I have lost over the years.  I hope that she will be able to go to the golf course with me next summer and ride while I play.   Sometimes I feel selfish though about planning thins for myself when she will not have that option.
  • mrahope
    mrahope Member Posts: 530
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

I greatly enjoy participating in a senior citizen's choir.  Actually, there are two: one is more conventional choral music (think "Silent Night" and "Hallelujah Chorus" for our Xmas concert) and the other is a rock music (the oldies many of us enjoy: Beach Boys, Neil Diamond).  I find that while rehearsing music there is enough distraction to keep me from ruminating.  To really perform well you need to use all your senses.  I need to watch both the music and the conductor, listen to the accompaniment and other singers, and breathe deeply and properly to produce the right sound.  I just hope it stays safe for me to be gone long enough to do the two rehearsals a week.  If not, they do have a virtual group.

Anything absorbing seems to be therapeutic.  It doesn't have to be complex.  I also enjoy knitting and reading. Just my .02  YMMV

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more