Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Ed...OT

jfkoc
jfkoc Member Posts: 3,776
Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

I looked into reviews of google photo and decided it was a no. I will look again. Thanks

Judith

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Where did you find the bad reviews? Were they current? I've been using Google photos for quite some time, and I think it's pretty good. Maybe not perfect, but good. I think if you do a search for the best photo storage services, Google photos will be at the top, or close to the top almost all of the time. Now you've got me wondering.
  • Ed1937

Judith, I wonder if you can still download Picasa. I could be wrong, but I think it will run on Windows 10.

I just found a youtube video for downloading Picasa for Windows 10 and 11. I did not watch it, and I don't know if they tell you where to download it. How to Download Picasa for Windows 10, 11 & XP? 

• Ed1937
    ttt
  • jfkoc

pretty sure it can be downloaded.....I would want to back up before doing that right? How?

I think google reviews were "recent". ..will check again.

I looked at photostick and loved that it would delete duplicates but someone reviewed that did not go well for them.

Bottomline....I could continue to work with my pics on the W8.

Next the camcorder movies and the millions of photos to scan/organize for children and grands.

This is not fun to do alone!!!!!

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,308
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Judith, I believe Windows 10 has a free photoshop-type  program.  We used it in my computer class.  It has basic cropping.

Iris

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Jfkoc when you get your done I have tons of negatives and bins full of pictures if your bored.I am going to sort and give them away to whomever is in the pictures. My sister has had 2 house fires over the years and has none.

I use  photo express that came with a little camera I bought, it's not photo shop but it's adequate, I was making gifs before they were popular, 

• Ed1937
    jfkoc wrote:

I would want to back up before doing that right? How?

I'm assuming you mean you want to back up your pictures. If so, do you have an external hard drive or a USB stick to copy to? That would probably be the best way because you'll always have them available whenever you want them. Or -- if you decide to use Google photos, you can upload everything to that. You will still have the photos, but they will be copied to Google photos. One nice thing about having them in the cloud is that you can see them wherever you are, as long as you have an internet connection. You can see them on your phone or any other device you have. One advantage to backing up to a hard drive or USB stick is that it will not take as long to backup large numbers of files.

If you consider buying an external hard drive, consider one with SSD (solid state drive), rather than the older spinning type. They are faster, and probably close to the price of the older drives.

There are also other cloud based places to backup to. One Drive, Amazon photos, and many other places

• jfkoc

tool belt...I will be happy to do yours when I am finished which will be never...lol

I think I will do thumb drive. Wish picasa was cloud stored!!!

judith

• Ed1937
    If you want to be super safe, backup to two different destinations. If your house burned down, and the USB drive was in there, the pics will be gone. But if you backup to USB AND another one to keep outside the home, or put them in the cloud AND a USB stick, you should be safe. No destination is foolproof, but having two should insure they will be here for future generations. I know I'm a pain, but something to think about.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more