Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Stewart

Ed1937
Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
In another thread, you said "I chose to use my resources to pay for my dw care instead of upgrading our car. " If you are talking about using that money for spend down, wouldn't you be better off buying yourself a new car? Either way, the money is spent down. But the difference is when you spend it all on her facility, you will be left with whatever you're driving now. It seems like the facility will be the big winner here. Please excuse me if my thought process is lacking.

Comments

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,413
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Adding my voice here:  please upgrade your car while you still have the money to do so.  Please get yourself in a home that meets your needs while you still have the money to do so.  I don’t remember what state you are in, so I don’t know how much money you are allowed to keep when she goes on Medicaid- it varies by state.  However I am fairly certain you are allowed to keep a car and the home.  You need to have the newest car possible before she goes on Medicaid because I don’t know if you will have money afterwards to replace it. 

Does it really make a difference if she  needs to go on Medicaid a month or so sooner because you replaced your car?   Is she going to notice the difference in where she is at  by then? 

The reality is that you are young and have a couple decades to survive after this and you must consider what is needed so that you don’t end up in a homeless shelter  or eating  cat food. And no I am not being overly dramatic,  some states leave the spouse almost nothing to live on. 

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Thank you Ed and especially Qbc for the compliment. I am 65 and really don't know how long I have. My plan is to sell our farm and use the proceeds to. 1. Downsize and move closer to the mc. 2. Bank enough funds for at least 10 years, then if there is enough left I would consider upgrading my car. Right now I drive a subaru with 185k. I have owned 5 of them and have had to pull the motor on everyone of them. I have become some what of an expert in repairing subaru's. I just did an oil change rotated tires,ect. Normal maintenance. I own one that got 295k and had a pin hole in a hole develop while I was driving and toasted the motor.

I am doing this as I have said before my way. I want the facility my dw is in to be her home, they do not transfer in the memory care section to Medicaid but they have a skilled section that does. Anyway, the price is right, it max is 4k a month. Right now it's 3659. Some folks are screaming what a bargain, and it is. It is a great facility and great care. Not real fancy but nice and it is a desirable facility in our area.

My choice is to use that resource, " our farm" now, the way I want to use it. Sorry to say I haven't found a Medicaid facility yet with this type of care setting. So I have to do it my way. I won't be broke, I will have a home and my heart will be settled that I did it the best way I know how. Sure it's hard and it's not the right way for everyone. I am fortunate that our farm maybe worth what I am asking. 

Our house sits off the main road a 1/4 mile with excellent privacy, we have well water plus city, we use the well though. We have a spring fed pond. We have three springs, 3 waterfalls, small amount of timber,multiple outbuildings,24x40 work shop compressors over head chain fall ,welders you get the picture. When y2k came all my friends said they were gonna come to our place because they saw we could be self sustaining. 

I may not have saved enough cash, because I never envisioned today so I will use what I have.

I could do 2 years maybe more paying without selling,I just don't want to wait to do what needs to be done now.

Ed and Qbc I  want to say that your advice is very good advice to anyone who needs to go that route, I did sincerely consider it when the cela recommended that possibly, she also recommended some other strategies, I am keeping careful records of how much I have spent for Judy's care for the possibly I would need to go to Medicaid.

The written word isn't my Forte, I could say it so much better in person. 

I hope everyone can understand what I am planning and that there are always unseen things gonna happen. Judy is gonna need to see a dentist to have a tooth pulled, that's not gonna be covered by Medicare as an example.

Sorry I have rambled, I also want to say I am praying for God’s will in this, my house hasn't had an offer yet 20days so far.

If I have to stay it will work out as well. I won't fear about what if, what if, but I will be wise.

I am glad there is a Medicaid and there are many facilities that can offer great care, just not at 3659.

Thanks Ed your really a mayor, you probe those discussions to bring out the possibilities. I am always reading everyone's post and have learned there are always different possibilities.

Stewart

• Gig Harbor
    Gig Harbor Member Posts: 564
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    That is an amazing price for MC!!! And your property sounds amazing too. Hope you are able to sell it soon.
  • toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Thanks Gig. I am extremely greatful that I could get her in, I did one month at 8500 at a snf. This is mc and it's so much better.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more