Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Sleep(4)

It's 5am and my DH just got me up. Nothing was wrong he just wanted me up with him. I know he was up earlier cuz the living room light was on. I said to my DH that maybe he should go back to bed. He agreed and he is sleeping in his bed. Is there anything I can do to help him sleep thru the night? He is 87 yrs old. I'm trying 5mg melatonin perhaps I should try 10mg? When he gets a good sleep the day is good. His dementia is just beginning. Sentences are hard sometimes and concentration is also hard for him. Sleeping is my concern at present.

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Sally, how long has he been on 5mg? I won't advise on going with 10 because I'm not qualified. You could always talk to his doctor for advice on that, or the doc might put him on something else. Others on the forum have had a lot of luck with other medications, and I'm sure they will comment. Best of luck to you.
  • ghphotog
    ghphotog Member Posts: 667
    500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

When my wife has a uti she will keep me up all night long, sometimes for weeks, going to the bathroom. She can't find it on her own so I'm up every 20 minutes to an hour leading her to the bathroom. Didn't think I would survive that!
    Finally got the UTI squared away and her doctor put her on medication for fibromyalgia that also helps with sleep. You might ask your doctor to prescribe a sleep aid. 

• Sally56
    Sally56 Member Posts: 24
    10 Comments First Anniversary

Ed he has been on it going 3 weeks that he has taken 5mg melatonin. Yea I guess I need to talk to Dr. It's just such an ordeal to talk to Dr or nurse. Thanks. I'll do it

• Sally56
    Sally56 Member Posts: 24
    10 Comments First Anniversary
    Thanks. No UTI.
  • bigfoot2you
    bigfoot2you Member Posts: 30
    10 Comments 5 Care Reactions
    My DH had me up at 7 because he was tired of sitting on the side of the road and was cold........wanted me to start the car and go home.  I could not convince him he was in his bed  Turns out he had wet the bed and only had one blanket on him.........got him cleaned up and in his chair and bang, right to sleep.............

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more