Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Transportation Solutions

My mom is 56 and has early onset, I recently told her she wouldn’t be allowed to drive. It was probably the most traumatizing conversation I ever had. She flipped out, had multiple tantrums and breakdowns, said she would rather be dead, etc etc. . However now we are in a position where we do not have a means for her to get around. She is used to being able to leave the house whenever she wants and now can’t and feel trapped. She is not good with her phone so cannot figure out Uber. All the transportation options around me are made for elderly people and that makes her feel humiliated. Has anyone found anything that works for younger people? I thought about getting her an e bike although I am worried about her forgetting to lock it up

Comments

• dayn2nite2
    dayn2nite2 Member Posts: 1,132
    Eighth Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    Please do not get her an e-bike, and not because she won't lock it (and she won't), but because that is something new that she is going to have to learn how to use and it's likely she won't be able to (especially if she can no longer drive due to safety).

Does she qualify to use the senior transportation?  My mother was not able to due to her age, so I was the person who took her where she needed to go, and that had to be around my work schedule.

If she is allowed to use the senior transport, then she will need to use that unless you are available to take her where she needs to go.
  • Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Senior transportation usually has a category for people with disabilities.

If she cannot figure out Uber, is she safe to be on her own outside?  Where does she want to go?

Iris L.

• Michael Ellenbogen
    Michael Ellenbogen Member Posts: 991
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions

I once was an avid bike rider and I had bought a ebike a year ago. It took me along time to just be able to feel comfortable to ride again. Not very easy to balance any more. Easy to fall. I had a real bad accident when I first got it. Luck I had a helmet as I may have been dead. Also made a few mistakes where I did not see cars coming. Yet I can still drive perfectly. 

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Where I live we have dedicated bike lanes.  Nevertheless, the auto traffic moves at high speeds, 35-40 mph.  There are still many bike-auto accidents.  I won't ride in the street anymore, I'll only bike ride in a park.

Iris

• sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 741
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    My dh did a lot of walking after he couldn't drive any more. Of course, I was worried about him crossing traffic, but I didn't think it was reasonable for him to have to stay home all the time. Eventually there were several places he said he wasn't allowed to go, and he was telling me about "those people" who were terrible in undefined ways, so I didn't feel comfortable with him walking any more. I still didn't think he should be home all the time while I was at work, so that was when we moved him to memory care.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more