Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Anger with discussion of memory loss

Mom has young onset dementia, and is very adamant that there is nothing wrong with her. So having a discussion with the MD about her anxiety from the dementia is going to be very difficult in a couple of weeks. How do you all handle that?? If I even mention how her memory is worsening to the doctor, she is instantly mad at me. I mean she forgets bu the time we get to the car. But just getting thru the appointment is difficult.  Any suggestions are appreciated.

Comments

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Welcome, Val.  Your mom has anosognosia.  This is a characteristic of dementia that causes her to truly believe there is nothing wrong with her.  This is why she is so adamant, This is NOT denial.  If you try to confront her with reality, she will become upset, as you have observed.  You will have to learn work-arounds to get things done.  Write down your concerns on paper and fax to the doctor the day before the visit.  Read other threads on the Caregivers board to learn more work-arounds.

Iris L.

• Val2010
    Val2010 Member Posts: 11
    First Comment
    Thank you so much! This makes perfect sense.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more