Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Fall

JC5
JC5 Member Posts: 167
100 Comments 100 Care Reactions Second Anniversary 25 Likes
DH home for a week after spending 3 days in ICU and 2 weeks in rehab facility after a fall down basement stairs. He fractured several vertebrae in lower back and T6 in upper. Fortunately no surgery but has to wear a back brace and receiving PT and ST at home for a few weeks. He has always been that person that wants what he wants when he wants it and refuses to to be told what to do. He has precautions he needs to follow but thinks he doesn’t need to follow them. Standing w/o his brace on, bending , wanting to drive etc.  surprisingly he seemed almost like himself when he was in rehab. Everyone saying how great and cooperative he is. He also seemed very aware and focused. Since he’s been home it’s just the opposite. Says he’s fine, doesn’t need the brace, repeating himself, can’t remember etc.  I’m so afraid he will make his injuries worse. Talking and logic doesn’t help. Yet in rehab he seemed so focused ? I don’t know what to do?

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    You surely have your hands full. Is it possible that you could get some respite time with him at a MCF for a couple of weeks?
  • Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,413
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

I wonder if the rehab facility was structured and he somehow felt less anxious while there.  Maybe that allowed him to focus better.   It might be something to consider when you are weighing a choice between a facility and continuing to keep him at home. 

I’m not surprised that the brace and the physical restrictions are an issue.  It’s been over 8 months since my lower back fracture.  I’m still technically not supposed to bend over from the waist and pick up even just a piece of paper off the floor.  I’m supposed to squat- which is tough on my arthritic bone on bone knees.   My back kets me know it’s unhappy when I don’t follow the rules.  I no longer have a weight restriction although I try to let people lift things o for me when they offer.   

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more