Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Respite MC and weight loss

My H's weight had been stable until 6 months ago. Then at a PCP visit he had lost 6 lbs.  My PCP asked me to keep an eye on his weight as he did not want him to lose more weight.  (He is overweight but not obese.) At that time, he was having a weekly medical procedure where he was weighed. He fluctuated up and down over a 4 lb. range. I struggled to keep his weight up to the desired level.  He ate good sized meals 3 times a day and several snacks a day. 

I placed him in MC for 3.5 weeks respite while visited and worked across the country. I checked in twice a week; he was eating. When I returned, he had lost 11 lbs. In 7 weeks, I have managed to have him gain 4 lbs. He still eats ample meals 3 times a day. I have to offer him snacks as he no longer rummages for them. 

I'm perplexed. My son and DIL prepare high calorie, homemade lunches and dinners which I can heat and serve. He eats those along with apples, chips, cookies and ice cream. He's eating more food now than when he was younger and active. He always had issues with being over the weight limit during his 23 yrs. in the Air Force. Is this an effect of his Alzheimer's disease?

Comments

• dayn2nite2
    dayn2nite2 Member Posts: 1,132
    Eighth Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    I looked at your profile and it seems he was diagnosed in 2014, so he's had an official diagnosis for quite a long time.

I assume he is in the last stages of the disease and it's quite common for PWD to lose a lot of weight at the end stage.  His body may not be able to hang on to the calories he's consuming - does he have any other chronic medical conditions?

Is he on hospice?  If not, this may be a good time to have him evaluated.
  • Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    Concur with d2n2.  Weight loss is a common manifestation of AD progression.  My DW has lost 20 pounds this year—even as she isn’t eating less.

The medical term for this is cachexia, a condition in which the body no longer process nutrients as it did previously.  It’s common in end stage diseases of various kinds, including cancer and HIV.  

It’s tough to witness….

• riajean
    riajean Member Posts: 98
    Eighth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions

Oh my goodness!  Just what I've been dealing with!  My husband, while still at MC, lost his wedding ring.  It apparently was found by a staff member and set aside for me to pick up.  I couldn't get my head around why he'd take it off, but then, after his contracting Covid, falling and hitting his head, requiring staples, off to the hospital yet again with bruised and scraped knees and shins, weighing.....164 lbs!!  He was 183 in the beginning of September, down around 10 lbs from a year ago; then only a week/two later, he was 10 lbs. less.  I was panicking!  He's now bedbound because Covid took away his ability to walk as it was waning and his balance was off, but now, bedbound.  154 lbs. at 6'-2" and it's hard to look at him.  He eats, but refuses a lot too.  I don't know how much longer he has, but Hospice came in and admitted him that day.  So, now, we're dealing with yet another team, all good people, but I'm having one hell of a hard time wondering if my baby will be here for another month or so or not.

Our hell started in 2018 with MCI diagnosis, but really, of course, it was earlier than that.  No one can ever tell us how long someone has, but it would be a comfort to know this is really it after years and years and years of dealing with this.

I feel so badly for everyone on this forum.  Anything you could add would be gratefully appreciated.  Thank you.

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,413
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    I think weight loss and a frail appearance are a sign even in the elderly who don’t have dementia.  I noticed my MIL started looking smaller and frailer about six months before she passed away at 87.  That was really the only difference I saw.
  • Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 683
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary
    I don't know if this will help, but DH had lost 15 lbs between August and mid-October. There were no changes in appetite, type of food, medications, eating or daily activities routine. His weight just started dropping. Then mysteriously, the weight loss stopped 2 weeks ago without any exterior influences. He's still too thin for my liking but at least the weight is remaining steady. It's this damned disease!
  • Paris20
    Paris20 Member Posts: 502
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions
    My husband has lost 30 pounds since he was diagnosed with AD in 2015. He was just slightly chubby at that time. Now he is quite thin. After DH’s stroke this past May, I was no longer able to care for him at home. Since May he has lost 10 of those 30 pounds. He is in the skilled nursing part of an assisted living facility. He refuses to leave his bed some mornings so he misses breakfast on those days. He doesn’t ask for snacks and they’re not offered. Eating can be frustrating although he can feed himself but I’ve seen him give up on occasion. He can no longer recognize hunger, yet when he hasn’t eaten for awhile he attacks his food with gusto. In other words, the weight loss is complicated. His doctor doesn’t seem particularly concerned. Her attitude is to let him do what he wants because he’s dying anyway. That is exactly what she told me.
  • ThisLife
    ThisLife Member Posts: 254
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Sorry. A couple of busy days.  Thank you for all the responses.  

Health: My H doesn't have any health conditions that are causing symptoms. He was diagnosed last Spring with Hemochromatosis. Did phlebotomies 3 months and stopped. Also, fatty liver; scans did not show any scarring, etc. He has high cholesterol controlled with medication. Had radiation for prostate cancer in 2019 and PSA is fine.  

He's only 72; I hadn't really thought of him as elderly. He's 6' 2" and 214 lb. Up from 211 when I picked him up from respite. A year ago, he was 230. He looks frail to me compared to the large guy he used to be. I don't see him as being in the very end stages of this horrible disease. 

Stage: He's in Stage 6, but can independently toilet: feed himself, if given food; bath and perform personal care, if he chooses; and dress himself, if he can find the clothes. So...

Hospice: Consulted hospice in September and he didn't qualify. But the nurse gave me information and her number. She called to check in with me in October.

I wouldn't have been concerned about the weight loss except the doctor was concerned. That's when I started watching and realized he was no longer getting his breakfast or lunch on his own. I suspect he no longer has a hunger signals. I now place all meals in front of him. He's not missing meals due to sleeping. 

I see a many of you have seen this weight loss in different situations. I've seen several family members with cancer decline and FIL with dementia. My experience with those was a decrease in consumption of food, though. I'll just continue to monitor weight. He'll see the doctor in December.

Again, many thanks for all of your experience and input.

• Gig Harbor
    Gig Harbor Member Posts: 564
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    As he starts to need more help or if he starts falling  it will be easier for you to lift and move him if he is on the lighter side. Just a thought.
  • ThisLife
    ThisLife Member Posts: 254
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    It's a interesting thought. I'll keep that in mind. At least I would be able to assist for awhile longer for sure, if the weight loss happens.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more