Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Called Hospice

Yet another step on this journey. Hospice will visit us at his memory care Saturday for an assessment.

I had been dragging my feet calling hospice. It was actually the DON at his facility who suggested it's time. He's now in a specialized wheelchair (because he can't hold his head up) full time and hasn't attempted to stand in several weeks. The facility is concerned over the speed of his decline recently, but I honestly haven't noticed speed to it. Just a steady decline. 

He still enjoys eating, although it all has to be fed to him. He usually eats his entire meal, plus more when I'm there. I'll get a "mmmm" when he likes what he's eating. That's about all the interaction I see. I think he said my name about a week ago. And he tried to reach down and "pet" our dog and said her name. Of course the dog wasn't there, but obviously the memory of her was. Sometimes he takes my hand and kisses it when I'm holding his hand. And a few times he's tried to eat it.

It's a long, sad journey.

Comments

• Marie58
    Marie58 Member Posts: 382
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments
    JoseyWales wrote:

Sometimes he takes my hand and kisses it when I'm holding his hand. And a few times he's tried to eat it.

It's a long, sad journey.

Oh my gosh, I remember my DH doing something similar...seems like a long time ago. Brought tears to my eyes. 
    I'm sorry you're at this stage, but as I'm sure you've heard over and over on this forum, hospice will be a real blessing if your DH qualifies. They're amazing people and provide so many services and supplies.
    Keep us posted.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Josey, I'm so sorry he has progressed that far. My brother and SIL both had hospice, and they were great. That will be a big help to you. I've heard of bad doctors, bad MCs, you name it, but I never heard of bad hospices.
  • Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,413
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

I’m sorry to hear this. 2022 has been a rollercoaster for your family.    

• Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    It is, indeed, a long, sad journey.  I am just in your (and Marie 58’s) shadow.  No mention of Hospice yet, but DH is hand fed, sleeps a lot, shows little or no reaction to anyone or anything.  Tomorrow will mark 1 year in MC after 11 years at home.  I am finding it harder and harder to remember when life was “normal” and that saddens me.  You are always in my thoughts and prayers.  Stay strong.
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,726
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Josie--Beachfan too--you both have helped me prepare for what's ahead, as I am behind you on the trail.  Am thinking of both of you.
  • Cherjer
    Cherjer Member Posts: 227
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes
    Beachfan...I cannot believe it is one year...it just seems like yesterday that you made the hard decision. Please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers. You have always given such good advise, and I appreciate the decisions you have made and moving on with your life...as hard as that is..
  • JoseyWales
    JoseyWales Member Posts: 602
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    Thanks, my friends, for all your replies here. I appreciate the responses, knowing that someone out there is listening, and the connection to all of you as we all work our way through this horrible disease.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more