Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

update on DH(5)

DH has been in advanced care since July.  He has declined over the past 2 weeks.  He's fallen out of bed so now they don't want him in the broda chair.  He is sleeping more gets agitated once in a while (not as often as he was) and seems to be in pain every so often.  He isn't eating but is drinking somedays more than others.  

I was told to prepare myself. Hospice says his vitals are stable. I went to the funeral home last night with 3 of our kids.  It was hard to do but we now know what the plan will be. So grateful for our kids.  I could never have done this on my own. 

I don't know how long he will stay this way or how long he can live this way.   He is a fighter and I believe he is fighting now.  The other day he said to me, plain as day, I don't want you to kill me.  I don't know where that came from, and I felt horrible thinking he thought that.  I reassured him that would never happen.  

I sometimes still think he will snap out of this.  I guess I'm in denial. I don't want him to go but I don't want him to suffer. 

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,726
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Caberr, I'm so sorry.  I'm glad you have your kids there, and hospice too.  Sounds like things are getting close to the end.  There's no preparing for some of it, you can't cross those bridges til you get there.  I hope you can all face what's coming with equanimity and that you find the strength you need.  Please keep us posted when you can.
  • toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Caberr I am sorry for the quick progression, and your not the only one to think that at any moment it would be better. 

Praying for you and your children.

Stewart

• Sligo177
    Sligo177 Member Posts: 165
    100 Comments Second Anniversary

Hi Caberr,

You are very strong in such a tough time, and I'm glad your kids went with you.  You are doing all that you can, and I hope that you can find peace in that at least.  We are thinking of you.  Take care of you.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Caberr, I'm so sorry. This part is not only hard, it is stressful too. You are blessed to have your kids there with you. I hope you can all lean on each other through this time.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more