Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Suggestions for Aggressive behavior in the evening

DH has, I found out today, been showing aggression right after dinner at MC, general anger mostly, wanting out and being very grumpy.  But lately he has started throwing furniture, and so they informed me about it because it seems to be escalating.  Does anyone have recommendations for medications?  He is probably close to stage 6, though he doesn't fit the category exactly. During the day he is very pleasant.  Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Sligo, has the doctor at the MC been made aware of this? He/she should be able to prescribe something for problems like that.
  • ThisLife
    ThisLife Member Posts: 254
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    My H is in stage 6, but I know that looks very different from person to person. He was diagnosed with Alzheimer's in 2014 but no specific variants. He is still at home. His agitation had increased though not to the degree you're describing. He is on donzepil and memantine. His PCP prescribed 10 mg generic Celexa in the evening which improved his mood during the day and eliminated the evening agitation. Best idea is to consult with the doctor providing medical care as everything is so variable based on type of dementia and other health concerns.
  • Sligo177
    Sligo177 Member Posts: 165
    100 Comments Second Anniversary

Hi Ed, and This Life,

Thanks for the suggestions!  I sent a note to his PCP, who is the one who would rx him a med - we recently upped his sertraline to 75 mg, that's in the morning for anxiety. Guess that doesn't help with the night time behavior.  I really never knew until today he was so agitated at night.   I'm glad to hear Celexa is helpful, maybe that's something to consider.  You guys are the best.  Thank you. 

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,726
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Sligo, this is probably his version of sundowning. Sertraline and Celexa are pretty similar. Don't be surprised or upset if they suggest something like Seroquel, it would probably do more to quiet the aggression. You don't want him to get kicked out.
  • Sligo177
    Sligo177 Member Posts: 165
    100 Comments Second Anniversary
    I know, that is a big concern, I don't want to have to move him.  I know that at this stage, all that matters is that he feels at peace.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more