Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

The Dogs know better...

While I wasn't looking, my wife fed her dinner to the dog.  I was very upset with the dog.

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,726
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Awww Roberts.  Frustrating I'm sure.  Bless you, you think they know better--but then you used to think your wife knew better too.  So hard.  You need some help and a break, if it were to be had.
  • toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Robert. I am not sure if this is your sense of humor. It is much better to be upset at the dog, he knows better!

Stewart

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I have a feeling the dog did the dishes.

• Hoot619
    Hoot619 Member Posts: 342
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions Second Anniversary
    Jan did that when she ate, eat a little give a forkful to the dog when I told dog NO, she really used to get upset.  Gave her a choc. malt, she tried to get dog to drink it out of the straw.  Didn't work, I got a chuckle out of that one.  She loved to share her meals with him.  Kind of wish she was here to do it again.  I really miss her.
  • trm
    trm Member Posts: 16
    10 Comments First Anniversary
    Morning Robert, you have no idea how much I related to the dog.  My spouse feeds the dog too.  The really bad part is the dog has a sensitive stomach and then throws up.  It is a horrible cycle.  Last week she gave the dog a dinner roll.  He almost choked on it until I could pull it out.  For me, it is a moment we eat and that isn't even calm.  Such a horrible disease.
  • Rick4407
    Rick4407 Member Posts: 241
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions
    My DW is at the next stage after that.  She will eat the dog's food if I am not careful.  She particularly likes the chicken treats.  I keep them hidden now, though I supposed they are not necessarily bad for her.  Rick
  • MaryG123
    MaryG123 Member Posts: 393
    100 Comments 5 Likes
    Thanks for a good laugh RobertsBrown!
  • Just Bill
    Just Bill Member Posts: 315
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    Food obsessed dogs are opportunists and people with dementia that are eating are a huge opportunity. Luckily our dog isn't food obsessed but walk obsessed and that gets us out for at least a mile a day. The dog is also very therapeutic for both of us. She loves the attention my wife gives her as she obsesses over her whereabouts every 2 minutes. The dog also give me sympathetic knowing looks at appropriate times that make me laugh. I feel a sense of camaraderie with the dog that we both know my wife is impaired and we are both taking care of her.
  • Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    Ours is a food obsessed dog and, at an earlier, stage, my DW would ‘share’ her dinner with the dog.  After always having trained our dogs never to expect to be fed from the table, so they wouldn’t be pesky at dinner time…

Nowadays DW is a messy eater, so the dog is glued to her side when DW is eating.  Always on clean up duty…As a result, we’ve had to switch the dog food to a weight management brand.

Adjust, adjust, adjust.

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,016
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions
    Robert, you’re right. What was that dog thinking?
  • Just Bill
    We had a really smart food obsessed dog that just recently passed away. She knew my wife couldn't remember if she fed her or not and she did what dogs do to convince her she was starving and got a second meal more than once before I took over dog feeding duty.
  • aod326
    aod326 Member Posts: 235
    Third Anniversary 100 Comments
    DH fed our dog all sorts, and the dog was happy to oblige...  One of the amusing dementia incidents (we have to take them when we can!) was when DH could still use a fork, and I found him feeding salad to the dog, with a fork. Pretty impressed with the dog to be honest!
  • Just Bill
    aod326, That is funny, there are a lot of humorous in the moment dementia moments. You have to enjoy and savor those moments for when it goes the other way and isn't so funny.
  • Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

Good one!

Dogs aren't stupid.  Mine used to sit under the high chair at meals and keep the kitchen floor clean.  She figured whatever hit the floor was hers.

• Buggsroo
    Buggsroo Member Posts: 573
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions

I laughed out loud at this. My husband eats sitting on the couch. We have cats who seem to like to watch him eat. He leaves crumbs, food balls and the like. I noticed last week we have ants. Given the number of crumbs and whatnot, if I was an ant god forbid, I’d move in in a heartbeat.

I have an elderly cat who seems to make as much mess as my husband. However my husband does not purr when he eats.

• JoseyWales
    JoseyWales Member Posts: 602
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes

You are all making me smile.

We got a new dog - a golden retriever -  about 2 years after DH was diagnosed. Of course DH fed her from his plate. The cat too. He'd take a little bit and hand it down to her. Once he moved into memory care, he continued his habit of handing a little down to her, but there was no dog to eat it anymore. When he was done eating there would always be a little mess on the floor under him with all the pieces he'd dropped for the dog.

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,016
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions
    It’s so good to know that I can come to this forum for a good laugh once in a while, that it isn’t only a place to share sadness and frustration. Thank you to all of you for being here.
  • Dutiful One
    Dutiful One Member Posts: 46
    Legacy Membership 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

This thread makes my day.  We have a canine opportunist here, too, who knows that my spouse will provide handouts and leave plates sitting out.  The dog just sits there, waiting. It reminds me of something I read, a twist on a popular song (the dog version of "Every Breath You Take" by the band Police):

Every snack you make,

Every meal you bake,

Every bite you take,

I'll be watching you.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Love it, Deb.
  • RobertsBrown
    RobertsBrown Member Posts: 143
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

Double the love Deb!   So spot on.

I hate how the dogs pretend not to understand English unless I have a biscuit in my hand.  Then they are linguistic geniuses.  I have actually had the conversation with the dogs: "what were you thinking!"  They give me 'guilty dog face'.  All I need for an indictment.

One of the reasons Diana and I first got together was because our dogs fell in love with each other.  We would meet up to run the dogs, and it was just an obvious love story.  That was many dogs ago, sadly.

Diana and I took good care of the dogs for many years.  I think it's their turn to pitch in.

They owe me, dangit.....

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Thank you; this has kept me laughing . . . . dogs are such good people and they ask not much from us . . . what a gift they are; and they can even hoover and do a light wash; what talents indeed.  Love them lots.

J..

• PookieBlue
    PookieBlue Member Posts: 202
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions First Anniversary

I have a 9 year old Havenese being treated for hypothyroidism. He is always hungry and sits on floor on my DH’s side waiting for food to drop plus if I’m not watching, DH will put his plate on the floor for Benji. This has gotten more problematic because DH eyesight is bad and he is messy and leaves too much on his plate. Dog never begs at my side of table. Benji is obese, weighs double what he should. (That is Benji in sideways picture)

My ill-conceived spur of the moment idea to help solve this problem was to get a Havanese puppy. Benji never had a canine friend to play with. We got him as companion to our 8 year old female Maltese (SammyJo). However, my husband would not take his dog Benji in to get fixed and poor SammyJo despised him and his canine testosterone. One morning as I was trying to get out the door to get to work, Benji was chasing SammyJo and the commotion made me lose it. I screamed at DH who was still in bed that I was NOT coming home til he got his dog fixed. So he got him fixed and he stopped jumping on Sammy, but she never did like him. She lived just past 16 years.

The male puppy (9 month old Cody Corndog) and Benji (now 9 years old) hit it off well and all the wrestling has resulted in Benji losing a couple of pounds. YAY!! 

However, Cody has figured out how to unhinge his harness and I have to chase him around the neighborhood or large front yard for 20 to 30 minutes, several times a week. The upside is I lost 25 pounds. To be honest, I had been watching too many episodes of  “My 600 Pound Life” which compelled me to lose weight before my 50th HS reunion. 

Current situation; Benji has taught Cody to beg with him at DH side of table. Cody is trying to jump Benji’s bones and I’m just thinking what goes around, comes around. Beam Me Up Scotty!!

• dw743
    dw743 Member Posts: 5
    Fourth Anniversary First Comment

I wished my DW would have fed her dog table food. I say that because of what happened when one day I became the main dish., for both her and her dog.

DW stopped coming down the stairs and sat down and wouldn't move up or down despite 15 minutes of pleading from me and her care giver. I then trying to stand her up when she took a real hard bite out of my left forearm. While this was going, her dog got behind me and took a bite out of my "behind".  

This was a couple of weeks before I placed DW into MC. Needless to say the dog went back to the shelter.  It just shows how odd thing happen with "mans best friend" and alzheimers.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more