Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Housebound for 2 days

We are having some work done at the house that is taking 2 days. Ordinarily I manage my wife by keeping her moving from one thing to the next on a pretty routine basis. Get up early I make her some toast for breakfast, I get an hour workout, we walk the dog, I take her to work and errands, come home nap and hang out. Except Thursdays and Saturdays we get up before dawn to golf, then work, walk the dog, nap and hang out. Great schedule. Friday and today construction has put us off schedule and I had a full dance card managing her both days. I have lost count after about the 5000th time explaining that what you are hearing is hammering, not someone knocking trying to get in. I have had to distract her from being a distraction to the workers. She either wants to manage them or feed and beverage them every 5 minutes. We took lots of dog walks, she sorted lots of mail, folded clothes, and emptied the dishwasher and put both away who knows where, but there are patterns of putting away I can follow. Anyway over all a good experience as long as I keep her moving and occupied we fell into a routine. She isn't too good with idle time she is better off given a task than to find one on her own. It started out rough Friday morning but smoothed out once we got a routine going.

Comments

• MaryG123
    MaryG123 Member Posts: 393
    100 Comments 5 Likes
    You are so good at planning ahead JustBill!  I hope you will enjoy the results of the home improvement project.
  • Lizzielou
    Lizzielou Member Posts: 33
    10 Comments First Anniversary

You are so fortunate to be able to get her up and moving around.  Walking the dog is a great activity.  My DH rarely leaves his recliner.  He eats there, sleeps there, and watches endless TV. I know it is bad for his health to just sit but I cannot convince him to move.  He is also OCD.  Everything must be in its proper place.  I postponed work on the house because he would not be able to handle the disruptions or a stranger inside our home.  

At least you know there is an end to your home project and will just need to “muddle” through until then.  Your regular schedule sounds nice.  Hang in there.

• Just Bill
    Just Bill Member Posts: 315
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    She has been nagging me for 20 years to get work done and I am cheap, lazy and an excellent procrastinator. Unless it exploded, leaked, or caught on fire there is always tomorrow or next week or next month.....  I used to be pretty handy around the house, but once I discovered golf all I want to do is practice and play. While she still has some awareness I am going to make up for that by doing projects around the house. This one made her real happy. Next month I am going to get the house a face lift and paint the outside. It makes her day and when she is happy she is real easy to manage.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more