Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Grandaughter's Wedding and other updates

Dear Forum Friends,  it's been awhile since I have posted anything.  It seems like somethings happens and before I can post, something else happens so I end up not posting anything. 

Last weekend, our granddaughter got married in Des Moines, Iowa.  Her twin brother was married in late May in Indiana and we attended his wedding also.  Our daughter and son-in-law were kind enough to fly from Boston to Missouri and rent a nice van so we could ride with them.  Our oldest son also flew in from the east coast and went with us.  I was so excited to go and prayed nothing keep us from going!  Two weeks before the wedding, I was quite ill with bronchitis but was okay to travel last weekend.  DH had no idea what was going on even though it had been explained to him many, many times.  By the time we left for Des Moines, I was exhausted from trying to help him understand.  The ride there was uneventful.  DH had an awful time with the menu for lunch.  I finally ordered for him.  I've had to start doing that as menus are too confusing for him.  I felt sad for him.  He didn't know where we were or why we were there or who our granddaughter was.  Even wit all his confusion though, when the time came he hugged her and told her he loved her.  In fact, he hugged anyone who came up and hugged him...all our kids and grandkids.  He even let our daughter-in-law pin a boutonniere on his jacket and thanked her.  All in all, it was good.  By the time we got back home, he was exhausted and so was I.  He had no remembrance of the wedding.  Also, he didn't recognize our son-in-law the entire time.  I'm so grateful I was able to attend and see our lovely granddaughter's wedding.

I've written about my ongoing stomach problems before and am pleased to report that last night was the first time I went to bed without stomach pain since last February.  The Nurse Practitioner changed some medication around and it seemed to help.  Since posting last time, I have had a gallbladder ultrasound, a nuclear renal scan, and x-rays of my ribs.  All came back okay.  I'm thinking that the back and side pain are muscular from DH constantly pulling on me when we go anywhere...to keep his balance.  And I think the stomach pain is due to stress.  And who wouldn't be stressed!  A couple of nights ago, he soiled himself for the first time.  I felt numb and disheartened as I rinsed out his underwear and got him cleaned up.  He didn't even know he had done it.  It hasn't happened again...yet.  Yesterday, he said he had showered before getting ready for church.  When I went to wipe out the shower, it was dry.  He hadn't showered at all but he thought he had.  He doesn't recognize anyone except me and our daughter...who lives in Boston.  He still does his ADL's...most of the time.  I will end this as always by saying I am tired but accepting that he is doing the best he can.  And so am I with God's help.  Thanks for listening.

Brenda

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,726
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Brenda I am glad you got to go and that you made it there and back safely.  Good to hear from you, even as you face new issues.  Hang in there friend.  

Time is such a thief.  I can't imagine seeing my little granddaughters married, but I'm sure it will be here in the blink of an eye.

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,680
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Brenda so nice things worked out for you to go.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Brenda, I'm glad things went well for you. It's great that you both seem to have had a good time. That's another memory to put in your keeper book. I wish you continued success with treating the pain. That's big!
  • saltom
    saltom Member Posts: 126
    100 Comments First Anniversary
    So glad you were able to see your grandkids weddings. You need all the good memories  you can get.
  • Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Brenda, That is great that you both were able to attend the wedding and the trip was uneventful. Also good  news on your medical test, hope your health issues continue to improve.
  • Cherjer
    Cherjer Member Posts: 227
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes

Oh Brenda, feel blessed that you and your DH were able to attend the wedding. It does not matter if he rememberers...you did! What a joyful occasion..

Our grand-daughter just turned 14, and she has a hard time accepting her dear grandfather's demise into AD. But when she hugs grandpa what a smile she gets from him. I don't think DH will be around for her wedding in the future...take what we can get now.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Marie58
    Marie58 Member Posts: 382
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments
    So great that you got to go to the wedding! And glad you're doing better physically.
  • PookieBlue
    PookieBlue Member Posts: 202
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions First Anniversary
    Brenda, Thanks for your post. My husband also doesn’t remember events, even though we travel by RV thousands of miles he won’t remember the trip at all, but I get to see my many siblings and some of our grandkids. He still thinks he can drive the RV, but I’ve done all the driving for 3 to 4 years. Tough doing it all on my own though. Keep taking care of your health.
  • White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 854
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes
    Thank you all for your kind replies and thoughts.  I appreciate each of you on this forum.  The grandkids grow up so fast and it is important to make good memories for us and for them.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more