Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Planning with parent with early onset

Apologies for cross-posting. My (28f) mother (54) was recently diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer’s. My father, siblings, and I already know her wishes for end of life care, but I want to have a discussion with my parents and siblings about what my mom envisions for her life over the next 5-10 years. We obviously don’t know how fast this will progress, but I want her input now in how her life will be once she has more trouble making decisions, remembering, and getting around. She is fully aware of her diagnosis, is open to planning for things in the future, and hates being coddled, so she will want to be directly asked these things. How can we approach this conversation? What are some questions to ask to determine her wishes for her quality of life over the next few years? Some topics I’ve already thought of relate to driving, home care versus institution, tans travel. Any ideas/help please!

Comments

• babyface68
    babyface68 Member Posts: 16
    10 Comments First Anniversary
    How is your mom doing.  I was just diagnosed with this awful disease at 54. Not many of us. I have vascular dementia.  Don't no how long i will be here.
  • Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Welcome baby face.  This is a small board but there are a few who post.  My diagnosis is cognitive impairment not otherwise specified.  Life is difficult but there are things one can do to make the journey less onerous.

Iris L.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney