Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

That Darned Camera

Venting here. Hubs has a large expensive camera kept in a red case.  He constantly misplaces it and sometimes has a near fit when it can't be found.  I hate that camera, although I engage with him in a wide search for the darn* thing. It seems that this camera in its red case is sometimes the center of existence.

Comments

• ThisLife
    ThisLife Member Posts: 254
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

If you can't "disappear" it, I'd suggest some type of tracking tag so you could find it easily.

Just bought Apple tags for my dogs' collars and my husband's wallet. He still walks the dogs in our small community. I've discovered he frequently doesn't have his phone with him! Doctor was concerned about the dog walking. (The dogs know their way home. One would stay with him. The adventurer would take the opportunity to have a private explore.)   I told the doctor I was not going to start WW IV. (WE already had III - taking the car away.)

• PookieBlue
    PookieBlue Member Posts: 202
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions First Anniversary
    My DH has been losing his glasses for an eternity now. I ordered 5 more pair because I couldn’t take it any longer. Now he won’t wear them, because he says they will ruin his eyes. I’ve been his eyes, ears, and brain for some time now. But he can still be cute and funny at times, so I’ll keep him around for awhile.
  • Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Hm-m-m, I never would have thought of an Apple tag; wonder if that would be helpful.  What I did find was that my Loved One (LO) would always, always have a "thing" that was at the top of the list for focusing on with great importance and it went on and on and on ad infinitum.

Sometimes, after a long while, when the one "thing" finally wound down, to my utter disappointment, another "thing" cropped up to take its place; there was always a "thing".  That continued on during the long middle stages of the disease. Oh the stories I could tell!

So; I learned to let go.  Well; kind of.  I did a lot of silent "mutter, mutter, mutter," inside myself and sometimes when I felt like the cuckoo ready to spring from the clock, I found a way to get coverage for an hour or two and escape to the ocean to just sit there and let the sound of the waves and gulls and soft breezes waft away some of my angst.  Couldn't get away often, but even a short escape was helpful.

That eventually passes, but oh boy; the things that became "things."  We all deserve a medal for our mettle, that is for sure.

J.

• Janco
    Janco Member Posts: 31
    10 Comments
    Thanks to all for the helpful responses.  I think that from now on, when the camera is actually found and in a "place" I will take a photo of same, as a reminder of location.
  • Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

. . . . aha Janco, good idea!  And which camera will you be using may I ask?  (Insert smile here.)  It goes along with what I learned from experience; if it isn't one thing, it's always . . . . . . (number too high to count.)  Amazing how things went "missing" and how hard the stuff was to find.  Oh my stars and garters, the hunts I went on and the house was neat and organized but still found ways to disappear things.  Some items were actually never, ever found and I suspect that since my LO was slyly sneaky and fast, some items were probably given away or silently stuck in the trash.  However; then my LO would believe I stole the items.   Sigh.

J.

• Janco
    Janco Member Posts: 31
    10 Comments
    Jo....I will use my cell phone camera.  However, the important camera is still missing, gone to places unknown.
  • Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

My first thought was "How do you lose a LARGE camera in a RED case?" but then I remembered what BBS this is.  

We are having a similar drama with a 30 year old designer handbag with a broken zipper.  I bought her another by the same designer (Etienne Aigner) on a vintage clothing site, but right about sundown she wants the old one repaired.  Sigh.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Joshbi
    Joshbi Member Posts: 11
    Fourth Anniversary First Comment
    In the early days of her dementia, my wife used to misplace her glasses constantly. Many of us do that, but in hindsight, it was a red flag to me that she eas slipping because she had NEVER misplaced glasses or even the car keys. Fast forward three three years, she seldom wore her glasses, often picked up a book and just stared at the pages giving the illusion that she was reading. Now she never picks up anything to read but may grab a magazine and rip it to shreds not out of anger but because she just enjoys doing so. Would anyone here be willing to share the first indication that something was just a little off with your spouse but you didn’t think it was very significant since it didn’t interfere with ADL’s at the time. It might be instructive or just   make us feel less guilty we didn’t give it more thought “way back” in this journey. This chatroom has great members willing to share to make us feel less alone! Thanks.
  • Jarmac
    Jarmac Member Posts: 26
    10 Comments 5 Care Reactions First Anniversary
    My SO has a similar relationship with his phone. Every time he “loses” it…the search is on. In the last six months we found it in the fridge. Insisted he left it at gas station, bought a new phone…except he never took it to the gas station. A neighbor found it by the car. “Lost” in Vegas, it was in the car. “Left” at the grocery store, in his coat pocket. He turns the ringer off which makes it hard to find.
  • toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Jarmac I set my phone and my dw phone to share location on Google I can find either phone within 30 feet but even then if the ringer is off its hard to find. There is a feature on Android phone called find my phone it can even turn the ringer back on. It was helpful when my dw was home or we went out. Don't know if this is helpful?

Stewart

• mrahope
    mrahope Member Posts: 530
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

OMG!  I feel like you all are right around here observing as DH loses his phone in the house many, many times a day.  He also loses glasses, and in the last few days, a certain glasses case has become a "thing".  Thank heavens he (I think) doesn't know how to turn the ringer off.

Also, has anyone else had experience with a spouse who "talks" on the phone when no call was placed or received? It looks like my spouse has been doing this with increasing frequency.  When asked, he will say he was talking to a friend of his, but I never see any calls too or from that friend when I check his recent calls.  Is this typical?

• Jarmac
    Today is a new day and…”lost” his phone again. I assured him it was in the car because I could ring it while driving. When we got home and I called it, no ring in the car. The search was on. It was in the car, in the backseat, with the ringer off! What really makes all these lost phones so scary - he has it in a case with his drivers license, insurance cards and credit cards. I cannot convince him to make changes. I wonder what tomorrow will bring. I really appreciate the opportunity to vent and I am well aware our problems pale in comparison to others. Have a good day tomorrow.
  • Jarmac
    Stewart: thanks for the tip. We have find your phone on our iPhone. I will have to see if I can turn the ringer back on.
  • prov1kenobi
    prov1kenobi Member Posts: 47
    10 Comments
    if you have a case that holds the camera, buy a Tile and stick it in the case. you can then find it with your cell phone

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more