Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

sorry I posted on the wrong board, My brain has been all over the place.

Peewee goes to the cancer doctor next week. I have already decided not to do chemo or radiation . I am so heart broken but I am ok. Peewee's Dementia is progressing. He no longer eats very much has lost a lot of weight. Has just the last week started wetting his pants, But he can still change his own clothes. he has just the last week started to shuffle his feet. but he can still drink, He can still make it to the bathroom on his own. He does not wet the bed. he can still carry on a conversation however it's the same conversation over and over and over. His routine everyday now is he wakes up takes his pills the lays in bed all day except when he needs to use the bathroom. He will go outside to smoke then it's back to bed where he plays on his computer and watches Gunsmoke and a few game shows then he naps the rest of the day. then he is up around 5 in the evening and wants to know where the day went. He can't remember who all lives with us. but he does remember the Great granddaughter and plays with her for a while then it's back to bed for the night after taking his night pills.he only wakes up once or twice to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night.

Now as far and the cancer goes he doesn't know yet I am waiting to see the cancer doctor to find out what he said. However Peewee told the doctor in the Hospital that he don't want any kind of surgery so I am not doing that. I am not going to put him through anything that is going to make him sick or put him in any kind of pain. So that is where we are.

Comments

• PookieBlue
    PookieBlue Member Posts: 202
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions First Anniversary
    Sorry you have to experience theses challenges. May the Lord bring you comfort.
  • Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,413
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

There is nothing to apologize for.  Being a spouse caregiver still makes you a caregiver. You are perfectly fine posting either  place. However I think some spouse posters don’t always look at the caregiver forum, and vice-versa.  So sometimes people will call attention to threads posted in one or the other.  Especially when we’ve missed hearing from someone -you’ve been extra busy for a few months.

Thank you for this further update.  I think you’ve made the right call for this stage of his life.  I know it’s hard to let go especially at the ages the two of you are.  The treatment would be so hard on him, mentally, emotionally and physically and he would still have dementia afterwards even if the treatment was successful. 

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Dear Lady, there is no need to apologize; Members are okay to Post on any and all of the Forums, so you are just fine.   I put your link here on this Forum as there are so many people here who know you from the long time many of us have been here.  As you can see, a lot of us did see you and responded on the other Forum.  It's all good.

You have been doing deep thinking about Peewee's cancer diagnosis and assessing what this means with the way things are.  I personally think you are making the wisest decision.  He has made a basic statement regarding what he feels, and that is a good guide even though you are the primary decision maker, it is still good to know what he feels inside himself.

Please let us know how you are and how things are going, you are so much a part of this extended support family and we all truly do care and will be thinking of you.

J.

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Lady Peewee, So Sorry to hear this news. I will keep you & Peewee in my prayers.
  • toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Lady I certainly respect you and the decision you made, it's hard either way and things are certainly going to continue to progress. Praying for you.

Stewart 

• Marie58
    Marie58 Member Posts: 382
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments
    I'm so sorry about this new development. It's not easy, but I think you're making the right decision. You're both in my thoughts and prayers.
  • Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Dear Lady, it has been quite awhile since our last contact and I am wondering how you are doing.  I remember you had to leave your job to care for Peewee, but do not remember if you still have someone living with you and Peewee as you had before as I do not remember if that was a temporary or permanent situation.

Is there any way we can be helpful to you even if we are so far away in distance and in an electronic extended family?

We are here any time you wish to stop by and talk; also the Alzheimer's Assn. 24 hour Helpline with Care Consultants is open 365 days a year at (800) 272-3900 if you wish to have someone professional to speak with.  Consultants are highly educated Social Workers who specialize in dementia. They are very supportive, and can often assist us with our problem solving.

If at some point you decide to call Hospice in to support Peewee and yourself, they too will have a host of professional people to help.  That will be your call for what you are comfortable with.

Please do keep in contact when you can; as said before, we are thinking of you.

J.

• mommafour
    mommafour Member Posts: 82
    Seventh Anniversary 25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions
    Ladypeewee -  So sorry about Peewee's diagnosis. I have not been on this message board for a couple of years but I remember your earlier posts.  Please keep us updated on how things are going for you both.  This is such a supportive group of people.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more