Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Any tips or suggestions for type 1 Diabetic going into Memory Care

My husband just went into Memory Care.  It is on the campus of a large Senior Living community that has high overall ratings.

His sugar monitor got lost the first day but luckily showed up the next day and I now have it on a lancet that is attached to his belt buckle.  And I'm going to get software that parents use to track their diabetic children from afar.  And perhaps one of those trackers that can find lost objects.

The other problem is food.  There is a lot of it and no lack of high sugar items.  Before the monitor went missing he registered a high of 450 (for non-diabetics 300 is a bench mark high to try to stay under).  

I agree with the idea that if one has a physical problem and trying to correct it would cause more harm or pain, to just let it be.  But pushing sugar seems like it would be adding fuel to the fire and create additional difficulties and consequences.

I may wind up visiting at mealtimes and asking for a private table so I can monitor the sugar intake.

I'd appreciate your thought and ideas.

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    You need to talk to the dietician, or someone else who will remedy the situation. Yesterday! That is dangerous stuff. They should be able to give him proper meals specifically for him.
  • dayn2nite2
    dayn2nite2 Member Posts: 1,132
    Eighth Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    I'm confused - are they expecting that he's going to check his own sugars and deal with his own diet?  If so, that's not going to work.

Does this memory care not have any nursing staff or dietary staff?

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more