Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Update to kicked out and a Punch

ElCy
ElCy Member Posts: 151
Fourth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

Finally got to see DH after a month in geripsych and a week in MC. It was wonderful to see him but I’m aware he’s slipped down the totem pole.

I found 10 filled glasses on a shelf in his closet. I asked him what they were. Pee. He said he didn’t know where he was supposed to go.

This past Saturday night I got a call from his nurse. Another resident had punched him in the mouth unprovoked. Now, DH is reluctant to be around the other residents even though the man who hit him is no longer there.

Also, I was there for both lunch and dinner. Lunch was a sandwich on a roll with onion rings and soup. Dinner was a sandwich on a roll with potato chips and the same soup. Obviously this is a conversation I’ll have to have with management as this is not acceptable.

DH thinks I will be living with him there so I’ve got to come up with a lot of fiblets.

Comments

• MaryG123
    MaryG123 Member Posts: 393
    100 Comments 5 Likes
    Oh dear, that’s not very encouraging ElCy.  Hugs to you (()).
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    ElCy, I'm sorry to hear that. When you talk to management, maybe you should mention that he doesn't know where to "go". I hope you can get satisfaction. It's never fun if you should have to move him to another facility. At least you can be thankful that the other guy is no longer a threat.
  • toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Elcy I hate that this isn't exactly what you had hoped for. I wonder if the kitchen is short handed. My dw has been here for several months and she has a bathroom in her room and still can't find it. She sits sideways on the toilet and when I am not here they come around and ask her if she needs the toilet. Hopefully there will be some answers, I go to the cna's and let them them know any troubles but I always thank them no matter what. It is good to hear your update, I was wondering how things were going.

Stewart

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

ElCy, I am so sorry.  Wonder if your husband sustained any injury to his mouth tissue from being punched; I imagine it must hurt for quite some time. Did he sustain a nose bleed or have any teeth loosened?  So hope he is okay.

As for the staff not knowing there were ten glasses of urine in his closet, that is really unfortunate; I am sure you must have notified the licensed nurse on his unit that he needs to be monitored and guided to where the toilet is at intervals and how to access the bathroom.  If you know who his aides are for his room, if you can let them know too.  He was doing the best he could with where his mind was and he tried to be as appropriate as he knew how.   Must have really surprised you.

As for the meal for lunch and dinner being identical; do the residents choose their food off a menu or does the staff choose?  If those were the only options, that is definitely not acceptable. Perhaps if his mouth was sore, that was why the soup and the sandwich simply included for him to nibble at if he could tolerate it; but that still does not sound right.

NOTE:  The facility should have two different calendars to provide the family each month. One is for activities for the month, the other calendar should be for the meals; breakfast, lunch and dinner planned for the month.  You may have to ask for copies if you did not receive these.  I found it helpful to have them and did watch them.

It was also good for me to be present at some lunches and sometimes for dinners so I could see what my LO was actually getting and eating. 

I also had to ask for my LO to be seated at a table with other residents who were at the same level of capability.  My LO was still able to eat using utensils and manage the food.  Initially my LO was sat at a table each day with residents who could not use utensils; who chewed and spit out food and drooled, who grabbed food off of others plates; to say the least, my LOs food intake was not good. When I visited at supper time and saw that situation, I immediately contacted the admin staff and requested the table change which made quite a difference and my LO once again was eating without difficulty.

It is a learning and adapting experience.  Hopefully once the wrinkles are ironed out, things will be much improved.  Let us know how you and he are doing, we will be looking for you.

J.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney