Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Memorializing the Journey

I've been through many long stressful times in my life from the time I was a kid.
As I got older, I would find my self from time to time in a long and stressful situation that would last for years and seemingly would never end. 

At some point during the height of the stress I would do something to memorialize that time in my life such as placing a rock on top of a post that I knew would be there for a long time.
I would go to that post and think about what life would be like when the ordeal was over and how I would come back to that post when it was all said and done and just reflect on that time in life. Eventually the ordeal was over.
Even on particularly long and stressful jobs I had a special place I would ride my motorcycle to every time and reflect on how I got the job done and it was over.

Just a couple of  examples but now I find myself needing to memorialize this journey in my life somehow so I can remind myself that someday, the "ordeal" will be over.
I love my DW, and mother, more than anything but at some point I need the "weight of the world" lifted from my shoulders and I need to be able to imagine how that will feel, to go to Colorado and breath in some crisp, cool mountain air again. . . to reflect.

This post I guess is my "memorialization" of this time in life and if I make it through to the end, then I will come back and re-read this post and reflect.

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    I think it's great that you find a way to look back on the hard times, and realize you made it through them. That has to be a confidence builder for whatever issues you will have to rise up to in the future. Good for you.
  • nancyj194
    nancyj194 Member Posts: 173
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    ghphotog, you said that so eloquently. Memorializing the journey is important.  
    I am doing that, also. In a different way, but still doing it so I remember.  

Stay strong and do come back to enjoy our Colorado mountain air. It is always refreshing and the view is incredibly inspiring. 

N

• ghphotog
    ghphotog Member Posts: 667
    500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    Nancy, I am looking forward to breathing some clean mountain air. I grew up in Colorado. Durango for that matter.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more