Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Delirium or hallucinations?

My DW has had hallucinations for a year or more but mostly small smiling kids that live in bushes outside. Last night was a doozy. She woke up and saw a lady in a white dress standing in the bedroom. The lady scared the bejesus out of her. She was terrified and wouldn't go back into the bedroom. I convinced her after she settled down a bit to go back in there and go to sleep. 

I promised I would be right next to her all night and the scary lady was gone. She still remembered how scared she was in the morning. Now the entire house scares her. She was ok after a while this morning but I have a feeling this might not be over 

Comments

• sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 749
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions

That's a hallucination, all right. Delirium can cause hallucinations, but delirium is shorter-term. Usually people will have delirium following a stressor, such as hospitalization, but it is not a chronic problem that lasts for months.

I also have a feeling this might not be over. I hope she goes back to having benign hallucinations, if any.

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,016
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions
    That must be scary for her and for you, having to go through it with her. Have you talked to her doctor re medications that might help?
  • JJAz
    JJAz Member Posts: 285
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments

Hallucinations are an indicator that your DW should be evaluated for Lewy Body Dementia.  It is the only dementia for which detailed and well formed hallucinations are a core feature.  Benign hallucinations typically don't need any treatment, but hallucinations that are scary and are difficult for patients to live with can successfully be treated with antipsychotics like Seroquel.  Regardless of the hallucinations, if a patient is suspected of having Lewy, it is important to learn about the medications that can be life threatening for patients.  Here is a link to review the diagnostic criteria.  Good luck.

https://www.lbda.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/2017_professional_brief_-_dlb_diagnostic_criteria_0.pdf

• mommafour
    mommafour Member Posts: 82
    Seventh Anniversary 25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions
    This is an interesting discussion.  My DH has started to have hallucinations just within the last month. It has happened 3 times. He's been on Zoloft for the past 9 months and that's one of the potential side effects but I'm not so sure that's the source of the problem. He's been declining in other areas too.  I plan to ask his dr. about it at his appt. next month.  It's amazing how nonchalant he can be about seeing a large white horse with wings glide past him, or a man standing over him while in his recliner, or a small child running through the room.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more