Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

First time out

Today was the first time I went out, other than to the mcf, I had scheduled a short trip 140mile one way to visit my Brother and wife who flew in from Ma to their sons house in GA. I guess it is a milestone for me because I didn't feel guilty about doing it. I did visit later in the day with dw. They said she did good,but one resident who looks out for everyone came up and said she didn't eat much breakfast. 

It felt good to do something and know my dw was gonna be ok. She asked me again when I got there if I thought we should get married, I said sure just name the date.

Those things don't bother me now.

I am gonna have to work up to a whole day, but you gotta start somewhere to getting back to life outside of the dementia experience.

Writing it down helps to chronicle this new part of being a caregiver, I will never stop making sure things are as well as they can be.

Stewart 

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Stewart, I'm glad you had a milestone. Yesterday I had an enjoyable day with the family. I didn't know that would even be possible this year, but it worked out well.
  • Leaderoftheband
    Leaderoftheband Member Posts: 18
    10 Comments
    Happy you had the opportunity and took it
  • ElCy
    ElCy Member Posts: 151
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions
    That’s wonderful. Hope you had a lovely time with your family.
  • ghphotog
    ghphotog Member Posts: 667
    500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

That's great! 

I'm looking forward to the time I can take a trip by myself and not have any worries.

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Stewart, That is great that you got to visit with your brother & his family. I hope you have some additional opportunities to get away in the future.
  • Hoot619
    Hoot619 Member Posts: 342
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions Second Anniversary

I think the worse thing for all of us is to isolate from others.  We need to be around others it keeps us sane.  I'm glad you did it and had a good time.

I've been going to the Sr. citizens dinner ,they have it 3 days a week. Food is good but the fellowship is also good. My meetings help also and I kind of watch over a buddy of mine. My son and wife had me over for Thanksgiving dinner. I'm usually out in the woods at that time but haven't been seeing any deer.

Just had a call, Son has Covid.  I was over there yesterday-I have had all the boosters etc.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more