Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Neurologist reports no significant findings, FLAIR signal abnormalities

Not surprisingly, my DH’s EEG and MRIs did not result in a diagnosis, except for “normal age related brain shrinkage” (really is brain shrinkage considered normal??).  We weren’t surprised as his symptoms are subtle and intermittent.  At least now we have a baseline if there is progression.  On reading the report, there is reference to “diffuse and confluent FLAIR signal abnormalities extending into the sub cortical white matter”.  Is this the same as white matter lesions?  The doc didn’t mention this.

Comments

• Marta
    Marta Member Posts: 694
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Hi, Mary. 

Brain shrinkage with age is normal and there are criteria for how much is normal at a given age. 

The white matter changes are so common and non-specific (non-diagnostic) that they do not contribute to the final impression (it’s not that they are overlooked, but more that they are hardly worth mentioning).

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    I'm guessing there were other tests to rule out any other possible conditions that could mimic dementia symptoms? If I were in your shoes, I'd consider this a winning visit with the neurologist.
  • Janco
    Janco Member Posts: 31
    10 Comments
    Your news could be worse.  My husband had all those brain imaging, etc tests and all came out normal.  The neuropsychologist and Neurologist were of the opinion that he did not have ALZ, but diagnosed MCI (Minor Cognitive Impairment, I think).  Still the memory lapses continue and the repeated questions.  I guess it doesn't matter a whole lot what the diagnosis is, if there is a problem nevertheless. Remeber to take care of yourself and try to enjoy life and activities to whatever extent is possible.
  • Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,413
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

When I searched the internet for FLAIR signals, the results discussed seizures. So my guess is that your spouse is having seizures, which may or may not be apparent to people watching him. 

Regarding the brain shrinkage, my mom had an scan about 3 years ago.  Supposedly the results were the same as your spouses.normal brain shrinkage for her age.   She had a CT scan about 18 months ago at a different hospital and the NP in the neurology department mentioned  the amount of atrophy as being part of the MCI diagnosis.  If you had a different doctor look at the scans, you might get a slightly different comment back.  It’s pretty subjective 

• Marta
    Marta Member Posts: 694
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions
    Alterations in FLAIR signaling are associated with any number of intracranial pathologies and do not necessarily point to seizures. The poster’s spouse did have an EEG which would be the more definitive diagnostic tool for seizures.
  • MaryG123
    MaryG123 Member Posts: 393
    100 Comments 5 Likes
    Thank you all for your input and support.  It’s good to have friends on this scary journey.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more