Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Joshbi(1)

Joshbi you asked this question which I think is a good question especially for those out there that are just wondering.

"Would anyone here be willing to share the first indication that something was just a little off with your spouse but you didn’t think it was very significant since it didn’t interfere with ADL’s at the time"

I'll share something I missed or just dismissed. My dw would go to town shopping right after I had filled the car, I always reset the trip meter. She would go shopping and come back with 45 miles and it's only 16 round trip, whenever I asked she would get upset and say I must not have reset it. I would just brush it off. Now I know she was getting lost.

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    This should be a good thread. My wife talked on the phone often with one of our kids. Several times I would ask her what they had to say. She would often say she didn't know or she didn't remember. But throughout the day she seemed fine. I just dismissed it as having "small talk". Nothing really important.
  • ThisLife
    ThisLife Member Posts: 254
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

My H lost a job and couldn't find another. Believe job loss was related to AD. He was never a ball of fire, so I thought he wasn't making an effort. After two years of badgering, I just treated him as retired. (He did retire from the AF and another job.)  I told him he was responsible for house, meals, shopping, laundry, etc. He did fine for maybe two years. 

We used a money envelop for groceries/household. Shopping became a minimum 5 phone calls and the envelop filled with change and small bills. Like $50. I thought he was too lazy to hand over correct change. Laundry wasn't done even with notes left. Washing not moved to dryer. Clothes left in dryer. Trash taken out and no new bag in container. I thought he was being a jerk. The light bulb moment was when he wasn't able to follow through with small repairs. He'd always been a handyman. His Dad had dementia. Aha! 

I think there is a lot we see in hindsight.  Not because we ignore things. We don't know. No PSA on signs to look for that indicate dementia probably because it can be so variable. Even the article I see now about things that are signs of dementia are too generic.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,308
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Trouble paying bills or keeping up with a checkbook is a significant sign.

Iris

• 60 falcon
    60 falcon Member Posts: 201
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Likes
    Minor driving issues, nothing specific, just minor carelessness.  Unexplained emotions, like crying for no reason. Looking back, I'm pretty convinced that the crying was related to her EOAD and the first visible sign that things weren't right, of course I missed the clue and just assumed that I might have been the problem.
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,726
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Not knowing how to work an unfamiliar shower in a hotel (had installed plumbing her whole career)
  • Just Bill
    Just Bill Member Posts: 315
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    I was picking her up from the airport and while we were driving home she kept asking "where are we ?" and "where are you going ?". This was a very familiar route to her. I just thought overtired or side effect from her epilepsy medication. This was 2 years before her diagnosis. Right before her diagnosis she was having trouble at work reading the schedule and following instructions. She was also starting to repeat questions over and over. "What time are we supposed to be there ?" was something she would say not 2 minutes from when I told her last. Luckily her job was compassionate and offered her early retirement because she was too impaired to do her job. That same day she locked her keys in the car. So it started out something off now and again to something being off is the normal. After her diagnosis strange behavior progressed pretty fast.
  • ghphotog
    ghphotog Member Posts: 667
    500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

She would call me at work very distraught as we were thousands of dollars overdrawn. Then, things like dates, times and paying bills. She had trouble writing checks or would mail off the electric bill but forgot to include the check.

Then getting flustered trying to pay for groceries at the check out line, forgetting how to put gas in the car, etc. . .

Since then I've taken over everything she took care of for years. She would make herself a mayonnaise sandwich without anything else. Now she can't do even the simplest things.

• Anna2022
    Anna2022 Member Posts: 166
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    My DH gave me a check for certain expenses out of one account, forgetting that he had electronically transferred funds to the other account for these expenses for about 10 years. He denied ever doing the transfer electronically and when I insisted, he couldn't figure out how to do it. This happened for a couple of months, then he remembered to do it electronically. So, the intermittent nature of this sign was confusing....
  • tigersmom
    tigersmom Member Posts: 196
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    Now that I think about it, there were early issues with the TV and remote that should have been a flag. For a while prior to diagnosis, I noticed that DH seemed to prefer to watch TV with the sound off. I thought it was bizarre, but maybe the sound bothered him. Also, there were a couple of times just prior to diagnosis that the guide program on the cable box got so screwy that I had to restart the box manually to fix it. This happened a few times within a month. But the earliest signs were probably his inability to navigate, the trouble he had writing checks correctly, and his inability to use an ATM.
  • Bob in LW
    Bob in LW Member Posts: 91
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions
    I first noticed my SO's memory problems when she couldn't remember where to find things in her kitchen, although she had lived there for 12 years.  This was about two years before she was diagnosed.  I believe that her memory loss progressed rapidly after her home was destroyed in one of California's wildfires and we moved to another part of the state.
  • Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,444
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions

2009  DW had always been a hard driving professional and had just been appointed to the top job in her field. in the Federal government
    But all of a sudden she just  liked being with ME
    Everything from romance to shopping to travel  I LOVED IT
    of course we later called it shadowing

But my daughter # 2 noticed that she was not into being "mother of the bride" 
      SEPT 2010 we are in Alaska   and she has lost the ability to add
     I was terrified  and got her to doctors right way
      later we realized she had been making math errors  on taxes since 2009  (She was a math major )

no effect on ADLs for at least 4 more years.

• PlentyQuiet
    PlentyQuiet Member Posts: 88
    25 Care Reactions 25 Likes Second Anniversary 10 Comments

Lots of little things like minor word finding or less than stellar conversation recall. DH was an RN and it was the height of Covid so I chalked it all up to stress. He needed a colonoscopy for a minor issue and was unable to follow the prep instructions, 35 years as an RN should have made this easy. After that I went with to every appointment and brought up the issues I was noticing. Four months later we had a diagnosis of EOAD.

• Marie58
    Marie58 Member Posts: 382
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments
    There were a lot of little things...trouble with left and right when driving, misplacing items, not being able to figure out a new phone, math related things. He also got quieter/withdrawn, thought people didn't like him.
  • CStrope
    CStrope Member Posts: 487
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    We started to notice things soon after DH retired, but he was quick to blame it on retirement.  That excuse seemed plausible.  There were things that should have been red-flags but weren't.  The main one being his personality/attitude, he was such a jerk that I seriously thought about divorce.
  • White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 854
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes
    The very first time I noticed something was about a year after he had recovered from a mild stroke.  We were on vacation and had stopped at a grocery store.  When we left the parking lot, he turned the wrong way and headed back the way we came.  He had always had an excellent sense of direction.  That was probably 2002.  Then in 2013, I had neck surgery and he had to take charge of the checkbook and paying the bills.  It took me three months to straighten out the mess he made with that.  At that same time, he got lost picking up a pizza.  I knew then beyond a doubt something was terribly wrong.
  • Kevcoy
    Kevcoy Member Posts: 129
    Fourth Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    First time I noticed something was "off" was during a road trip to Las Vegas so DH could attend the Star Trek Convention like he had done for many years.  I started off driving and when we switched I fell asleep in the passenger seat.  I was awakened when vehicles were honking as they were passing us at a high rate of speed.  I looked over and noticed we were only going about 40 MPH in a 75 zone.  Next thing I noticed was he couldn't remember what floor our room was on or our room number and kept calling me to find out.  The last thing was he wanted to leave the convention two days early which never happened before.  I didn't put the pieces together until years later.
  • Davegrant
    Davegrant Member Posts: 203
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Early signs:

This is a question that I have asked myself many times. There was a moment a  few weeks after I retired (five years ago) when DW stopped in the middle of making dinner , I asked her what's the matter and she said, "I don't know what to do next". She acknowledged that she lost the ability to sequently complete an activity. From that time I began to do the cooking and over time all the household activities.  Were there other signs that I missed?  In retrospect there were some personality changes that happened that while I found them to be personally embarrassing , I thought they were due to marriage and/or advancing age issues. The beginning issues were so suttle it took me a long time to separate marriage problems from dementia as I knew little if anything about dementia. Even after five years of dementia issues there are times in the day that seem so normal. I understand that she also has agosognosia and she holds her positions with vigor and certainity. She is somewhat open with me but when another person enters the room she is able to present a good picture. Not so much with close family members but certainly with others. In general, repitition, suspicion, paranoia, delusions do not physically show on a person. If this all sounds a little confusing,  it does to me as well. She limits the delusional behavior to me and recently to one granddaughter. 

Dave

• Ed1937
    Davegrant wrote:

DW stopped in the middle of making dinner , I asked her what's the matter and she said, "I don't know what to do next".

Something very similar happened to us. My wife was going to make pancakes for breakfast. She opened the fridge, grabbed the buttermilk, then just stood there. I asked her what was the matter. She didn't know what to do next. And she was an excellent cook! But that was about 18 months after diagnosis, and she never cooked again. That was just about exactly 3 years ago.

• Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 683
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary

Looking back now that I know what to look for, so many small things that were dismissed:

• Burned a pot to a blackened crisp bottom boiling water;
    • Stopped or avoided socializing even with family, claiming that he needed to recharge by being home alone;
    • Missed on-ramp and got lost trying to find our way back to the freeway;
    • Became extremely and unusually agitated whenever I couldn't navigate/work the map app on smartphone or if he missed an exit;
    • Started getting very angry whenever friends did not see his points--discussions all became heated arguments and debates;
    • Forgetting to pick up items on grocery list;
    • Paid only his portion of a credit card bill and not my portion (which I discovered later);
    • Forgot to run a job at work;
    • Talking in his sleep;
    • Went the wrong way coming out of strip mall parking lot...

I had attributed all of these to stress and anxiety.

• Ed1937
    Dio, he is no longer driving, is he?

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia