Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

won't sit down

As the Dovells sang in the mid 60's, "you can't sit down" my beloved is having a sitting problem.  She's in long term care and pretty much lives in a wheelchair. She can stand with encouragement using a wall mounted bar for safety, but you almost have to use a technique borrowed from the NFL and "chop block" her to get her seated again- most often, sitting her on the toilet.  I don't know what to do to help her.  The staff have decided that getting her to sit has become so much of a problem that they just make her pass stool in her pants and clean her up afterwards. My better half becomes frantic when she feels the need to poop. She knows she "have to go somewhere, do something, I just don't know what I need!", trembling and sobbing.   My best guess is she can't see or feel the toilet from the standing position using the safety bar and is afraid of falling. (Think of the classic trust exercise of falling backwards into someone's arms.) Is there an assist device anyone has used to enable a person to sit without having to pivot in the same motion? I'd be willing to bet she would sit if she felt the chair or toilet behind her.  This is only one of the miriad of little problems that keep me engaged in annoying the staff every time I visit.  They make me crazy cuz I had hoped they could would have the expertise to solve these problems without me constantly making waves.

Comments

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

If she had a bedside commode and non-wheeled walker, the wheelchair could be moved with her standing and hanging on to a stable walker without wheels with standby assist, and the commode could be immediately slid right behind her by another person to drop her onto with whatever dynamic necessary to quicky get her sitting.  She can also hang onto the handrests of the commode to give her more a feeling of stability while she is on it and to help her rise again reversing with the walker and wheelchair with the commode being slid away from her.

J.

• towhee
    towhee Member Posts: 472
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions
    There are a couple of Teepa Snow videos on YouTube that might be helpful. One is Care Partner Tips assisting someone to sit, another is Lewy Body Dementia, understanding movement problems.  Staff training is often minimal even at the best of times, and right now is worse.
  • JJAz
    JJAz Member Posts: 285
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments

Check out the Carex Lift-assist commode.  It worked for my husband

• JJAz
    He was also afraid of sitting.
  • JJAz
    It can be adjusted for the person's weight so that they sit slowly using the hydraulic assist.
  • Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

JJAz to the rescue; she is such an amazing resource for all sorts of knowledge and assistance!  I was not famiiar with the Carex Lift Commode and am delighted to have that information; thank you JJAz, it is much appreciated.

J.

• markus8174
    markus8174 Member Posts: 76
    Fifth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions
    JJAz  Thanks for the direction to try. I've still got to work out the logistics of getting her standing but in line with where she needs to sit.  The bathroom is tiny and her wheelchair only comes in perpendicular to the commode.  No room to get in to help guide her, but if I can figure out how to get her butt aimed right I may have an option.  Even the Carex with BSC work if I can get the staff to use it.  I'll post back.  Thanks all for suggestions.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more