Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

any thoughts on a Pet scan

I took Peewee to his Cancer Doctor and the doctor wants to do a Pet scan on the 14th of December. We go back on the 20th for the results. To find out what stage and what kind of cancer he has. I will update when I find out more.

Comments

• dayn2nite2
    dayn2nite2 Member Posts: 1,132
    Eighth Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    Your original post said you were not going to treat, does the doctor know this?  If so, what is their reason for the scan?
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    LP, I also was under the impression that you were not going to treat it. Have you changed your mind? FWIW, I think I'm in fairly good health, but I told my doc that if I were to wind up in the hospital, and I stopped breathing or my heart stopped, just let me go. My reasoning is because I probably don't have too many more years on this earth, and I don't want to spend precious days recovering from surgeries. I'm choosing quality of life over quantity. But you have to do whatever you think is best. Thanks for the update.
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,726
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Lady, I can't imagine what information they would get from a PET scan that would make any difference to his care.  These are not easy tests; they involve the same prep that one takes for a CT scan (oral contrast if they are doing the abdomen and lying still for a LONG time), plus IV contrast, plus taking an oral dose of radioactively labelled glucose (sugar) before the scan.  I absolutely wouldn't put him through it and would doubt that he would be able to lie still long enough to get accurate data anyway.  Did you discuss hospice or palliative care?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ladypeewee
    ladypeewee Member Posts: 62
    Eighth Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments

Thank you all for your replies.

The Doctor wants to do this Pet Scan so that we know What kind of cancer it is and how big it is. The Doctor said that if it was one kind of cancer that they could try a Pill that would shrink it.but he wouldn't know unless they did a pet scan. He didn't say anything about an IV. He said that the Pet Scan would show what stage his Cancer is in. He told us that it was about the same as having a CT scan or an MRI. Peewee did just fine when they did those test and also when they did the scope up his nose and the lung biopsy. However he can't remember those test or even being in the hospital for 4 days. 

We are not going to do any Chemo and radiation, or surgery This is why I was asking about the Pet Scan.

Again thank you all for your replies.

• ladypeewee

Yes the Doctor knows what Peewee said about treatment. When the doctor told Peewee about the Pet Scan and that they could try this one Pill if the Scan shows the Cancer to be one kind of Cancer Then Peewee said yes they could do the scan. Peewee's son and daughter was at the Doctor's appointment with us, when Peewee told the doctor that he didn't want treatment unless they could treat him with a pill. That's when the doctor started talking about the Pet Scan.

We were told that after we  do the Pet Scan then to call hospice.

I hope this post makes my other post more clear.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,365
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes
    ladypeewee-

I am so sorry you and Peewee are facing all of this. 

You are something of a long-hauler on this site; presumably your DH is in the later stages now which does inform what is best for him.

Aside from the concerns about the actual PET scan-- difficulty cooperating with the procedure and insurance coverage for a $$$ test-- I would have concerns about the "pill". Just because chemotherapy is administered orally rather than via an IV, doesn't mean it won't have a host of unpleasant side effects. What is the medication, how long will he need to take it, and what side effects can be expected. What benefit do they anticipate if things go well-- will it offer him a better quality of life or just more time? I would want to have the answers to these questions before I would consent to the PET scan.

Be aware that some "pills" need to be taken in a medical setting rather than at home. Also, sometimes insurance considers oral chemotherapy as it would a pharmacy charge which could mean you have a higher co-pay-- especially if it is not on the plan's formulary. 

Wishing you the best as you navigate this situation.

HB
  • Ed1937
    M1 wrote:
    These are not easy tests; they involve the same prep that one takes for a CT scan (oral contrast if they are doing the abdomen and lying still for a LONG time), plus IV contrast, plus taking an oral dose of radioactively labelled glucose (sugar) before the scan. 

Just to give you an idea of what M1's talking about, I had that done. It took one hour for the test.

• eaglemom
    eaglemom Member Posts: 524
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I can only image that your thought processes are all over the place. It sounds like you and Peewee had / have a plan in mind. You will have to be strong because some medical professionals might try to push you in a direction you don't want to go. I know you have Peewee's best interest at heart.

As for a Pet scan please make certain what your cost will be prior to having the scan.  These scans are quite expensive & many times insurances do not cover them. From a personal standpoint my DH's neurologist ordered one when we were first trying to find a diagnosis. The insurance refused to pay & ask the neurologist office to handle it because I was not getting anywhere with insurance. Ultimately, because the test was vital to a diagnosis and because of my DH's age, 54 at that time it was approved.

You have so much on your plate, take a deep breath and follow what Peewee has said he wanted.

eagle

• ladypeewee

After much research and the replies I have read here I have decided that the Pet Scan is not the best course of action to take for PeeWee. I will be calling Hospice later on when I need them, but for now everything is good. I have told his children and they are on board also.

I am not having to deal with all this by my self for once.

From the research I have done and all the symptoms PeeWee has I believe he is at stage 3.

• Ed1937
    That's great! I'm glad they are on board with your decision.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more