Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

trying to understand ...

JC5
JC5 Member Posts: 167
100 Comments 100 Care Reactions Second Anniversary 25 Likes
I know this disease affects people differently and at different rates. When DH was hospitalized after fracturing his vertebrae in October, he seemed “not so bad” and pretty alert. However I have noticed a significant change in his short term memory over the past two weeks. When talking about thanksgiving dinner ( our conversation was the morning after), he didn’t remember dinner at all. He didn’t remember our daughter and family being with us. He’s not remembering conversations we have in the morning and sometimes those we just have. Can this disease progress that quickly? It’s like a plug was pulled! It’s sad and I’m trying not to show my tears around him. Can’t make it better but don’t know how to help. Thanks for listening.

Comments

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Jc5 yes it can from what I have read Vascular tends to have big steps and then a quiet then another step. That's always hard to learn new things on the fly. 

Stewart

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

My wife had spinal surgery in Feb. 2018. She developed AFIB during surgery, and she was released with new medication for that. Three days after she got home, it was like someone threw a light switch. She did not know how to turn the lights on and off, didn't know where she was half the time, was confused, and had a lot of cognitive problems she did not have before surgery. We discontinued her new medication, and within a few days she regained much of what she lost, but not all of it. About 4 months later she was diagnosed with dementia. If your husband is on new medications, I wonder if that could possibly be the cause? Another thing to look for when things go south quickly, is a UTI. Older people might not have symptoms that are typically seen with UTIs, and an infection can cause all kinds of symptoms usually seen in dementia. I'm sorry you are dealing with this, and I hope you can find something that works for you.

Yes, vascular dementia can have plateaus and steep drops. And that can also be associated with at least one other dementia, but I don't recall which one that is.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Ed1937 wrote:
    My wife had spinal surgery in Feb. 2018. She developed AFIB during surgery, and she was released with new medication for that. Three days after she got home, it was like someone threw a light switch. She did not know how to turn the lights on and off, didn't know where she was half the time, was confused, and had a lot of cognitive problems she did not have before surgery. We discontinued her new medication, and within a few days she regained much of what she lost, but not all of it. About 4 months later she was diagnosed with dementia. If your husband is on new medications, I wonder if that could possibly be the cause? Another thing to look for when things go south quickly, is a UTI. Older people might not have symptoms that are typically seen with UTIs, and an infection can cause all kinds of symptoms usually seen in dementia. I'm sorry you are dealing with this, and I hope you can find something that works for you.

Yes, vascular dementia can have plateaus and steep drops. And that can also be associated with at least one other dementia, but I don't recall which one that is.

• John_inFlorida
    John_inFlorida Member Posts: 51
    10 Comments Second Anniversary

My wife was diagnosed with vascular dementia after the doctor looked at her scan, cant remember if it was a CT or MRI. it showed black areas in her brain which was the result of a stroke in her case.  

Its been 10 years with usually small changes, but sometimes daily changes that come and go. She pretty much has no short term memory and will forget things right after I tell her. She still remembers things from the past. She has congestive heart failure as well. Don't know how that interacts with her dementia. A couple of times she has forgotten how to use her phone, even just to answer. She doesn't do the cooking or bill paying anymore. Little by little I've had to take over pretty much everything

• JC5
    JC5 Member Posts: 167
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions Second Anniversary 25 Likes
    Thank you for your replies! So helps! Guess today is difficult for me as I’ve been tears eyed all day and can’t seem to get a handle on it. Hope this will pass. I’m usually pretty in control but today is hard. Thanks!
  • Ernie123
    Ernie123 Member Posts: 152
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions

My DW, who is now in memory care, over the years has had occasional rapid changes of decline followed by a plateau. Maybe a good day now and then when she will say something that seems in context, and then the next day struggling to put words together….word salad I call it. The PSWs who provide care where she lives say that is very common. Although every case of dementia is different and progresses in a unique way, the step down in function and then a plateau seems a common pattern. Now that she is in more advanced stages the progressive changes are becoming more physical. She shuffles, leans forward and has frequent falls. We now have a wheelchair. 

I know how difficult it is to witness this happening, how hard it is to change your life to adapt to these changes, and how sad you feel realizing your former life and relationship is slipping away. Being a caregiver is a huge stressful challenge. Be sure to reach out and ask for help. As you know this forum is place where you will find unconditional support. Let us know how things go for you.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more