Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Staying overnight in MC

ElCy
ElCy Member Posts: 151
Fourth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions
My DH keeps asking me to spend the night with him in MC. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    ElCy, this is another hard decision. Maybe he feels vulnerable during the night?? That could be comforting for both of you. But it could also give him reason to expect you to stay with him every night. I don't think you can make a wrong decision on that.
  • Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    My first question is will the MC allow you to stay if there are not extenuating circumstances. I know my wife’s MC would allow it if there was something going on with DW but probably not if I just wanted to spend the night. Ed’s point on whether one stay would lead to future or continuous requests needs to be carefully considered.
  • mrahope
    mrahope Member Posts: 530
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments
    Oh, Elcy.  I didn't realize your husband had gone into memory care.  How long has he been there?  So much change in a short period of time, it seems.
  • toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Elcy these are always gonna be the heart breaking decisions, like bringing them home. What is best is not always easy. I would be concerned about your dh expecting that to become a new normal.

I certainly do understand how hard this is on you. 

Stewart

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,016
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions
    If the MC will allow you to stay, would that be doable for the foreseeable future until he no longer has the desire for you to be there?

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more