Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Another Month...Another Arm Measurement

On the day my husband was admitted into hospice care, the nurse measured his arm at 39 cm. Yesterday, was a month, and she measured again.  (He can't be weighed since he is immobile and now bedridden.)  Yesterday, it was 36.5 centimeters.  Another significant drop in a month.  

Before he had dropped 2.5 cm. in two months.  I was really looking at him today, and I can tell he is losing weight.  He shoulders are not as wide; his legs from the knee down are atrophied.  His once larger abdomen has decreased in size, and the lower part of his arms are thin.

Sigh....   Just a tough part of the process to watch.

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Judi, I'm so very sorry. This disease is nothing but hard, hard.
  • Marie58
    Marie58 Member Posts: 382
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments
    Judi, same with my DH. It doesn't seem he can even lose more, but then the arm measurement is less. Sometimes when I put lotion on him, I tear up. I lift his legs and there's just nothing there. If the caregivers come in to change him, I have to leave the room. The last time I saw them remove his 'diaper', I just cried. Too thin....
  • Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,680
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Maria I send you a virtual hug.  I’m sad with you.
  • Battlebuddy
    Battlebuddy Member Posts: 331
    100 Comments Third Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

I so appreciate you posting this.I am so sorry that others are experiencing this but also comforted to know im not the only one. 

I  have been so sad about my husbands weight loss. Last arm measurement was 24. It seems like In the last couple months  he has taken a real nose dive in the weight department. He is so skinny and bones are protruding everywhere. 

There are people who want to come visit with him over the holidays , but he looks so frail . I feel very protective of him and I'm so heart broken by this latest change I really don’t want anyone here.  

Anyway I get where you guys are coming from. He used to look “healthy” so you could kind of pretend when you went in the room, now it is showing on the outside what is happening on the inside. I understand the tears. 

Im sorry ladies.  

• Battlebuddy
    Battlebuddy Member Posts: 331
    100 Comments Third Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

I asked the nurse about the weight loss. I know muscles can atrophy from lying in the bed, but he was there for a year and held his own. 

But now he seems to get thinner and thinner. . He actually eats fine, but only two meals. I’ve wondered if this is Cachexia that people get at the end. We will see 

• Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

My DW is also experiencing weight loss, for the past year or so.  So much so that she’s way beyond thin—gaunt, I’d say, and frail-appearing.

Appetite doesn’t seem diminished.  She drinks at least two Ensures a day, and eats three meals a day and I’ve thrown in ice cream.  I, too, wonder if it’s cachexia.  

Doctor appointment in two weeks—will see what the doc says, but I’m thinking that, quite simply, this is disease progression.

It’s as if DW is disappearing right before my eyes, a little bit more every day.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more