Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

sippee cup

DH has been drinking from a cup with a straw for at least 3 years now and hasn't had any issues with that. Several months ago we started thickening his liquids because he was coughing a little with water but not with his Ensure, which is just a little thicker. Recently he started coughing a lot after drinking and the hospice nurse thinks it's the straw. Probably sucking in too much air and probably the beginning of swallowing issues. We switched to a sippee cup which is working well. We took out the plastic thing on the bottom of the lid so he doesn't have to suck the water out, it just pours out slowly through the small opening. And there's a spout that goes into his mouth which seems to work better than a regular cup. Sigh, another decline but I'm happy it's working.

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    We've had others who mentioned problems when using a straw. I'm glad you found something to work a little better.
  • mommyandme (m&m)
    mommyandme (m&m) Member Posts: 1,468
    1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    My LO has problems understanding a straw. We are using Nosey Cups which are working well for now.  Sippy cups work sometimes for us but again she doesn’t understand the spout.
  • RobertsBrown
    RobertsBrown Member Posts: 143
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

I like the solution!

I have a home made sippee that uses a large camp cup (YETI) and a large camping straw that is extra fat jammed in the drinking hole in the cup cap.  I think the extra size really reduces the force required to suck up the contents, and so far it's become the one and only drinking method.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more