Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

This Message Board is so great

Just wanted to say how much I appreciate this message board and all the wonderful people who participate.  We are all in a similar boat and that is so helpful to know.  May peace be with all of us and our loved ones.

Comments

• Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 4,322
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Jane, you are so right.  It would hsvebbeen so much harder to get through my care giving years without the help of people who had gone through it already.  Everyone wss so helpful and ready to answer any questions I had and there were many.  

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Janco, you said it all. Almost everything I know about caregiving, one way or another, came from this forum. The rest came from trial and error. People before us passed the information on to us. Now we try to keep the forum going. I'm glad you are finding the board helpful.
  • JLB43
    JLB43 Member Posts: 10
    5 Care Reactions 5 Likes First Anniversary First Comment

I am new to the website, but I agree with the other posts. Like many, I have read several books and articles looking for suggestions and help, but hearing the experiences of others has been very powerful. Thank you all!

I am always looking for silver linings in dark clouds, and I am viewing people I meet and talk with every day in a different light--I feel more caring and understanding of the differences that we all experience. 

• KimGun
    KimGun Member Posts: 3
    First Comment
    I'm new to this forum and looking for a support network.  My husband is moving from short term memory loss to dementia and can no longer do daily tasks unsupervised.  I'm not talking about hygiene, dressing, etc., but farm chores, trimming horses, running equipment, fixing, building, etc.  We are retired and run a small farm.   I'm only 67 (he is 68) and I am mourning the loss of my previous and planned life.  We can still do most things, but my DH needs direct supervision and gets angry with me when I try and tell him what to do. I give him notes but he won't read them.  Lots of conflict, sadness and depression; and I'm terrified every day about where we are heading.  I think I just need someone to talk to.  My children are in his corner and tell me to take anti-depressants and things will get better!  We live in a rural area and there are no support groups locally.
  • Paris20
    Paris20 Member Posts: 502
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions
    Janco, thank you for reminding us just how grateful we are for this forum. I’ve been here for several years. I agree that there is more for us to learn here than from anywhere or anyone else. Most advice that is out there doesn’t address the negative outcomes, i.e., failures of that advice. Here we get the whole picture. «Try this but that may happen.» «This works for me but only under certain conditions.» It’s the context that counts. Most important, though, is the support and genuine empathy we find here. Thank you.
  • Hoot619
    Hoot619 Member Posts: 342
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions Second Anniversary
    I'm so glad that I found this forum, it made my journey a lot easier. At times I was at wit's end and hit this forum 3-4 times a day.  Just reading what others were going thru helped a lot. Also the advice given and also the concerns of others for me I can never forget. Thank you ALL again for your kindness and everything.
  • ghphotog
    ghphotog Member Posts: 667
    500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Yes! Thankful for everyone here although we all wish we weren't. The freedom to speak freely to those that truly understand has been so helpful for me.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more