Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Don't miss this one

Ed1937
Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
Someone tells you they had a great conversation with your LO, and they seemed just fine. What would you think about that? Or they say something else pertaining to your LO or the way you are making decisions. This video is for you! I know it won't be easy, but it might make you feel a lot better. I think this is a must see video. When family & friends say hurtful things: How NOT to get defensive 

Comments

• sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 749
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I decided at some point that when someone said "he looks OK to me," I would hear, "You're doing a great job caring for him--you cover for him so well he looks great!"

That might not be what they meant, but it's what I decided to hear.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Diane, that's perfect!! It's not what they say. It's how you interpret it.
  • PaulaJM
    PaulaJM Member Posts: 12
    10 Comments
    I get people telling me you should be doing this, he shouldn't be eating that, what was I thinking?  Their words hurt, when you are doing the best you can and they are not there 24/7...Most of the time, I just smile and choose to ignore there comments.  Thank you for sharing the video.
  • sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 749
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    Paula, my response is that he didn't work all those years to spend his sunset eating broccoli. He has a right to ice cream. I may not say it to that person, but I do say it.   I think withholding what someone wants when there is no cure anyway is unkind.
  • White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 854
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

Thanks, Ed.  A few weeks ago, at our granddaughter's wedding, someone was talking to DH and having a nice conversation.  When he found out DH has Alzheimer's he remarked that he couldn't tell.  If they had conversed longer, DH would have started repeating himself and it would have been obvious that something was wrong.  I was happy for DH that he could have a short conversation with someone and seemed to enjoy it.

When someone who knows about his Alzheimer's says he seems ok to them and he's not that bad, I have learned to not argue with them but just walk away. 

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more