Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Update: DH is home

It has been a while since I posted, but wanted to give an update.  I brought DH home on November 10th from the MCF.  Hard to believe that was almost a month ago.  When my daughter and I picked him up, they had not ordered refills on some medications and thank goodness my PCP placed orders immediately for meds that had run out...just one more stressor in our whole ordeal.  I did find an organization that allowed me to interview caregivers.  I had plenty of time to do so, since our daughter stayed the month of November with us.  Our new caregiver started December 1st and will be working 40/week for now and we'll take it from there.  She has 22 years of experience and right now she has him out for a walk and will fix him lunch soon.  I feel that I can oversee his care, get the rest that I need, and once he is established in his routine, get out of the house for some "me" time.  I don't want to push things too fast...DH has had a lot of changes since September.  This is the first time I've been able to sit at my desk and get on the forum since October.  I am happy I took DH out of the facility, and I am happy that it appears I have a good company and competent caregiver. He doesn't mind a nice shower and shave in the mornings here at home. The whole placement and bringing him home set him back a bit - or it could be the progression of the disease, but his ability to speak and understand people has greatly declined. He can't express it, but I know he is happy at home and that makes me feel so much better. I want to thank everyone for their words of support. I do hope the caregiver situation turns out to be a positive one. The revolving door of caregivers last spring and the neglect at the MCF about did me in.

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Kenzie, I'm sorry the MC didn't work out for you. But it seems that bringing him home was the right thing for you. It sounds like you are both happy with the move, and your caregiver seems to have a lot going for her. Hopefully things will work out as well as you are hoping for.
  • toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Kenzie thank you for this post. I think so many of us wonder if it is possible, I am so glad you have the type of help your dh needs and it sounds like it is going good. Keep us updated when you can. Praise the Lord

Stewart

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,016
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions
    Kenzie, I am so happy for you and your husband. There’s no place like home. There you know exactly what’s going on with regard to his care. Having good doctors and being able to monitor medications and approved to tweak them as needed can make a big difference and in our experience even help with some of the setbacks. This forum is a lifeline of information on everything connected with this awful disease and there is still a small group that care for their spouses at home who have provided both practical and inspirational support to us. I’m glad you’re here. Please keep us up to date and pass on ideas that work for you.
  • Nowhere
    Nowhere Member Posts: 272
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments
    Great news! I’m very happy for you and your husband. Thank you for updating all of us here. Please continue to post as to how it is going. We learn from each other.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more