Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Nothing but a good thread

Ed1937
Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Tell me one thing good that has happened with or without your LO lately. It doesn't have to be earth shattering, just something positive.

Friday evening, I went to see a high school BB game. One of our g-grandsons is on the team. They lost, but I got to sit in the bleachers with family and friends. I had to force myself to go, but glad I did.

Comments

• Jarmac
    Jarmac Member Posts: 26
    10 Comments 5 Care Reactions First Anniversary
    I went visit my daughter yesterday, my 11 year old granddaughter made cookies and I cuddled with the puppy.
  • PBJ74
    PBJ74 Member Posts: 1
    First Comment
    This is my first post on this site and I am going to start out positive. My daughter came up Friday night so that I could leave early Saturday to visit my sister. My sister lies about 3 hours from me and I have not been able to get down to see her in over a year. I had a wonderful visit with her a cousin and my brother's girl friend. The drive home had wonderful weather and would have been most wonderful but my husband got sick. Still I had a very good Saturday without stress and worry.
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,726
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    I mopped and vacuumed and cleaned the kitchen countertops today (including stove) that desperately needed it.  Folded and put away laundry and threw out an old smelly dog bed that needed replacing.  In finding the new dog bed (I knew there was one around somewhere) I found a quilt that I had forgotten about, am sending it to my partner's niece.  Christmas presents are wrapped and finished.   Feeling organized, for the moment.  The life-changing value of tidying up, right?
  • Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 683
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary

Our wonderful friend, who actually officiated our wedding, took care of DH with a 7-day stay at his house, so I got a much needed respite. It felt wonderful to get recharged. I was able to clean the house without having to deal with DH's anxieties and interference, and got together with friends and family for yummy lunches and dinners. I'm spoiled now. I am craving these unencumbered moments!

Since DH has lost interest in doing just about everything, I created a playlist of songs that he likes on Amazon Prime Music, played the list, and we danced and sang together--yes, he remembered much of the lyrics. It was a beautiful moment to see him smile and engaged!

(Of course, it was his Jekyll day. It didn't work well on his Hyde day.)

Thank you, Ed, for this thread! We need to remember to celebrate these precious and few moments, too.

• 60 falcon
    60 falcon Member Posts: 201
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Likes
    I finished the second memory pillow made from my wife's favorite shirts. That's no small feat for me, ha! They're going to be gifts for my sons. I went for a hike to a couple different waterfalls with one of my sons.
  • Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Today, DW told me, not for the first time, that I am a beautiful, handsome man.  

(Have I mentioned that she has dementia?  

• Pat6177
    Pat6177 Member Posts: 444
    100 Likes Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions
    DH is always cold tho he wears the same clothes year round. So we have a dyson fan/heater. This time of year, he is using the heater. Our elderly cat (who isn’t really a lap cat) is cold this year and has discovered the joys of the heater. So the cat is half on DH and half on the arm of the chair enjoying the heat and DH is enjoying petting the cat. Brings a smile to my face!
  • Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Last week I went to visit DW at the MC, she was in an exercise activity dancing to the music as usual but as usual not paying any attention to the exercises they were doing. When I came into the room one of the staff members point me out to her. She broke out into a big smile and yelled, “I love this person”!  Needless to say this made my day.
  • Paris20
    Paris20 Member Posts: 502
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions
    On 10/10/22 I became a great grandmother. My oldest grandchild got married two years ago. His wife gave birth to a baby boy who looks like my grandson. I can enjoy watching him grow just as I did with his father. And the icing on the cake is that my 100 year old mother has met her great-great-grandson. She’s ill and on hospice care but, when she held the baby, a huge smile appeared on her face. It was precious to see. With FaceTime, my husband has been able to see his new great grandson. I haven’t seen DH so animated and happy in quite some time. I’m grateful that he is still able to understand and experience the joy of the moment.
  • PaulaJM
    PaulaJM Member Posts: 12
    10 Comments

On Monday, my DH looked straight at me and said you know I love you and you are the best thing that has ever happened to me.  A little later, he said, Everything will be okay.

I can't even begin to tell you what this meant to me and did to my heart.  It made the hard times this week a little bit easier to take.

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

I get a lot of laughs listing to the conversations between the cna's and residents.

The other day a cna asked a resident, " Did you finish your dinner?"

And the resident replied" did I sing the national anthem?"

It was all I could do to not break out laughing.

Sorry if this offends anyone.

• Annen1014
    Annen1014 Member Posts: 36
    10 Comments
    I have a journal in which I record three good things everyday. Of course there are always more than three good things. A very small thing: yesterday as I took my walk I saw the most beautiful, fluffy pink cloud that reminded me of a storyy grandmother told me when I was four or five.
  • Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,444
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions

I was going through yet another box of DWs stuff and found several unopened boxes of her "Glasgow stockings"   I was visiting professor in Scotland and discovered them in the mid 1990s  They were sold at BHS which was the equivalent of K-mart

The British call them "suspender tights" they have a built-in knit Garter belt instead of panty hose.  it was  much more comfortable,   DW   loved them never wore anything else and appreciated so much that I would go shopping for them on every trip
    For some reason it just made me feel good

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Yesterday was a very warm and muggy day. But I finally convinced dh to take a walk with me. We walked around together on our property. It was the first time in months I was able to get him outside and doing a little walk. As we came around the front of our house he noticed the big pile of dirt and the large hole going underneath our house. He asked did I see that, I told him everything was going to be okay. He had forgotten about all the plumbing problems. We just kept walking. I could feel the stress lifting from me! A good day.
  • Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,680
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Joydean I know that feeling.
  • dw743
    dw743 Member Posts: 5
    Fourth Anniversary First Comment
    Had DW's best friend bring over a quit that she and DW had been working on before DW passing.  It has been over 2 years, and her friend finished the quilt.  What a nice present to be given that has DW labor in her final project.
  • saltom
    saltom Member Posts: 126
    100 Comments First Anniversary
    Last week our grandson spent the night with us on his way to move from southern CA to Oregon.  It was so nice to have him all to ourselves. Much as I love having everyone here for the holidays,  it was extra special to have one on one time with him and carry on adult conversations.  Even DH was more involved, awake and agreed it was a good visit. It all had me on a high through the weekend.
  • Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Yesterday there was a Christmas party at DH’s MCF. Residents and their guests gathered in a common area a short walking distance away from DH’s cottage. Allie, the seven-year-old granddaughter, “ bagged”  a half day of school and went along. My heart sank when I realized that DH had been transported from his cottage in a wheelchair; I consoled myself with the rationalization that it was easier to proceed in this manner. Later, an afternoon aide who adores DH whispered to me, “Coach doesn’t walk around much anymore. We’re afraid he’ll fall.” I was sad all over again. Allie pushed him back to his cottage for cookies and cocoa, never missing a beat.  While I moped over DH’s latest decline, Allie sang a duet with the activities Director, made the rounds from table to table like a bride, and thoroughly enjoyed herself. When we left, she said, “ thanks Mimi,  that was the greatest afternoon.” She is my heart.
  • Nancy105
    Nancy105 Member Posts: 4
    First Comment
    Hi. This is my very first post..I read a post asking for at least one thing positive…well I can find a bunch of things although it’s hard sometimes.. My husband has been experiencing memory problems for 4 years.. We are still very close after many years of marriage. After some challenging days, I just treasure sitting down with him on our couch and holding hands. I am learning to navigate the website and REALLY look forward to interacting with wives that are experiencing similar issues I am facing. Thanks N
  • Scooterr
    Scooterr Member Posts: 168
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Likes
    NUTCRACKER, My grand-daughters are in the play Nutcracker this weekend for their  school system. The play is at the main Civic Center and open to the public,  due to DW illness and the overwhelming crowds we would not be able to attend. Thursday they had their final dress rehearsal and it was closed to the public. The more I thought about it the more I wanted to go see my grand-daughters.  Me being me I thought what the heck do I have to lose I'll sneak DW and myself into the Civic Center through the backdoor, like we did back in the day at the movies. I loaded DW into the truck and once we got to the Civic Center I had my plan of action ready to go. We went to and through the backdoor and as soon I opened to door  there stood the principal of the school. She looked at us like, what in the world are you two doing? Before she could say anything I explained our situation to her and she was very understanding and kind. The principal invited us in and told us to take any seat we wanted. So there we was watching the Nutcracker with no one else in the building. We got to watch the play, see our grand-daughters, had the whole building to ourselves, and we felt like royalty. It was a WONDERFUL DAY.
  • David J
    David J Member Posts: 479
    100 Comments Third Anniversary
    I saw the topic, and just knew it was you, Ed. I haven’t been participating on the forum lately, but check in once and a while. Positive things happen, and I like to read about them here. I am still enjoying the warm glow of spending Thanksgiving with my brother and his wife on their farm, a 5 hour drive from here. Five days with no worries, just enough hard work, and lots of recreation and eating. Looking forward to spending Christmas with another brother and his family, a two day drive this time, and not a farm. Just lots of recreation. I haven’t been able to do these things for fifteen years, and it feels great.
  • Hoot619
    Hoot619 Member Posts: 342
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions Second Anniversary

I love Deer hunting and this year was able to get out and enjoy the outdoors. A lot of good memories went thru my mind as I was waiting for the Big Buck to show up. He never did and none of his Buck friends did either. But was able to watch the squirrels, Pats and small birds and finally did see some Deer the last week of the season. 

As I was coming back to the house last night a pure white Snowshoe rabbit ran across the trail in front of me. I used to hunt them a lot during my younger years. The rabbit hounds barking and chasing them and than at hunt's end getting the big Redbone dog out of the woods. He just loved to step on my snowshoes and spill me. Also on the last rabbit you had to catch him , he didn't want to quit what he loved to do.

Also the better memories of my wife before this damned disease changed things around us. Yes I'm crying now but it seems like now they are cleansing tears now for I feel better in knowing what I lost when she passed. Hoot

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Hoot, I know you have good memories of days gone by. If we didn't have the good memories, it would be so much easier when we lose the biggest part of what made them. I hope you can get some enjoyment of the holiday season with the rest of the family.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more