Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

How much can I expect DH to recover after a fall

DH is now in a skilled nursing facility.  He was discharged from the hospital last Friday to continue recovering from the 3 broken ribs and a subdural hematoma.   He recognizes me, can read words, feed himself, but doesn't have much cognition beyond this.   I met the social worker today and they started to ask me about my plans for him after discharge.   I originally wanted to have him come home with me and start home health/PT/Palliative care.  Now I am worried that he will not be returning to his pre-fall state.  Before the fall, we could have simple conversations, we could discuss what he wanted to eat, select a movie to watch, etc.  Now, if he replies, it is with single words.  He is doing more repetitive movements, is fully incontinent, and seems to have trouble coordinating his brain and muscles.   

Does anyone here have any experience with people with dementia improving after a head injury?   I feel like this fall has stolen several months of meaningful interaction between us and that it is downhill for now on.   

Comments

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney