Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

What should I expect?

DH fell down at night at home in late October, as it turns out he has acquired hemophilia A. After blood transfusions, he was put on prednisone that raised his blood sugars, he is diabetic type 2. Dementia was in the beginning stages. He is due to come home from rehab on Thursday. He is losing sense of time, doesn’t answer my phone, or friends phones, doesn’t call me unless by mistake, a video call. Medicare will provide one month of PT OT & nurse I think. I have bought a wheel chair etc. I was told that he can dress and feed himself & use the restroom by himself, may be with a walker. I got Covid from rehab and stopped going there as they have lot of positive cases in rehab!

I am wondering what to expect from him, how he will behave after being away for 6 weeks?

Any suggestions ?

No speech therapist available at present !

He may be on insulin and new meds too!

Comments

• dayn2nite2
    dayn2nite2 Member Posts: 1,132
    Eighth Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    Well, I think you could probably take however you were doing prior to all this as far as care (handling it) and expect it to be twice as hard now.

Sounds like he's progressed with the dementia, he has 2 chronic conditions and insulin now that you need to monitor and you will have only 1 month of very superficial oversight (PT and nurse visits).  Did you already have a plan in place in case something happens to you (illness, surgery, death) for his care?

If you do have a Plan B, what is that because you may find his care too daunting now.  If you did not have a plan, have you been using the time he's been in rehab to scout facilities nearby and find out what their waiting lists look like?

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more