Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Tough week continuing....

My husband got placed in a supportive nursing facility last Friday where he could recover from his fall and get stronger.    Today, the facility social worker said that they are going to discharge him because he was combative and kicked people when they tried to change his diapers.  And he was inappropriately touching the female CNAs.  They said they talked to him and he said yes when they asked him if he touched the CNAs inappropriately. I responded that he was almost nonverbal at this point, and doesn't really understand what people are asking.  At this point, he says yes to almost everything.  I asked if he wanted to eat rotten eggs and he says yes.  

When I left him yesterday, he had a low O2 sat, rapid shallow breathes and didn't seem very present.  I commented that he had not been doing the prescribed breathing exercises and seemed to be out of it.   I don't think he understands where he is or why the facility staff is changing him.   I would think that the facility would know how to work with a dementia patient with a recent head injury to avoid combative responses and how to redirect inappropriate touching.  

So now he is coming home on Friday.  I am by myself.  He is double incontinent and can't stand on his own.  I am hiring a transport team to bring him to the house.  From there, god knows what I'll do.  I will hire home health workers for part of the day, but fear that they too will leave if he is difficult.  I am so depressed that I can barely care for myself, well along a spouse who has instantly gone from moderate dementia to severe dementia.    

The nursing home social worker/case manager seems more interested in kicking my husband out than helping us find solutions.  And all I want to do is sleep.  

Comments

• Twin Mom
    Twin Mom Member Posts: 81
    Seventh Anniversary 10 Comments
    I am hoping someone with better information will soon read your post and give you some ideas.  However, I do know I would not be transporting him home.  If he is really still with medical issues, I would probably send him back to the ER and let them figure out how to deal with this.
  • dhyink
    dhyink Member Posts: 26
    10 Comments First Anniversary
    I just got off of the phone with NC Dementia alliance and they said the same thing.  They said that I should refuse to take him home and to contact the regional Ombudsman for long term care.    I hope that I can get them to reconsider the discharge.
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,726
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    dhy:  absolutley i agree that you should not take him home.  If he needs to be readmitted to the hospital, so be it.  Hospice?  He needs hospice.  He still may not survive this.
  • ladyzetta
    ladyzetta Member Posts: 1,028
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    I agree do not take him home this is not a safe situation for either of you. They will find him a place. Take care of yourself.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 854
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes
    As others have said, don't bring him home.  I'm so sorry you are having to go through this.
  • dhyink
    dhyink Member Posts: 26
    10 Comments First Anniversary
    I got a stay on the discharge.   He could still be discharged if he doesn't improve (this is short term rehab).   Yesterday we saw some big improvements.  He stood up, took several steps, and actively participated in the rehab efforts.  He recognizes me and recognized friends on the phone.   I'm heading out to see him in a few minutes.  I am bringing him some things from home to bring him some comfort.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    That's fantastic! And it's a big win. It looks like things are going in the right direction for you. I hope it continues.
  • ghphotog
    ghphotog Member Posts: 667
    500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    So difficult for you. I agree, there is no way you can care for him by yourself. It's very sad so many of us are by ourselves without much help. I can only imagine how hard this for a woman to be caring for a grown man in that state of mind.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more