Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Gibberish talk

What a day yesterday. I was napping on the couch and I'm awaken by my th talking gibberish. I think he stood up from his chair and lost.his balance and caught himself from falling. I wake up and he is trying to say something but only weird words like, walk walker wa wa and some other pronunciation of some words. I had no idea what he wanted to say. I had him sit down and looked at his face thinking he might be having a stroke but he looked ok, I checked his grip and that was good. I asked if he had to go to the bathroom he said yes. I guide him to the bathroom and he does his business. I checked his sugar and it was ok. I called his daughter cuz I was so scared. She came quickly. She heard the gibberish talk. After about 30 minutes the gibber talk stopped and he was able to say whatever he wanted. And didn't remember what just happened.  My DH is 87 and we haven't been to a neurologist for I see no reason. I know he has dementia and his physician also sees his decline. Just wanted to share this story and maybe get some feedback on what I did was alright or more I could have done.

Two months ago there was an episode of acute confusion which I called an ambulance thinking he was having a stroke. Thank God no stroke. 

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Sally, I'm no doctor, but it sounds like TIAs (mini strokes) to me. I'd have him checked out again.

• Arrowhead
    Arrowhead Member Posts: 361
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

Some refer to that as “word salad"; partial words and words that don’t come in a recognizable order. At times my wife has no trouble saying what she wants to say. Other times gibberish is the only thing that comes out of her mouth. This is a sign of dementia, most often in the later stages. About the only thing that you can do is to pay attention to the tone of his voice. It may tell you more than what his words do.

• BillieCDD
    BillieCDD Member Posts: 9
    First Comment
    Can anyone suggest how to cope with this? DH does this too, and I want so badly to talk to him, to hav a conversation, but no.. if I ask him to repeat or counter with a question or comment I think may be reasonable, he gets frustrated and shuts down. I know this is part of the disease, but if anyone can give ideas, I sure would appreciate it. Thank you.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more