Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Peewee has started eating.

For months now I have been trying to get Peewee to eat. He refused all food except a bite or two, but drinks all the Yahoo drinks he can stand. Since he was in the hospital and came home he has been telling me what he wants to eat, he can't always tell me the name of the food he wants but he can describe it to me. for example if he wants a soft shell taco he says the thing with meat that you fold over. I really don't care how he tells me what he want I am just glad that he is eating now. How long it will last I don't know. But I will take it and be glad in it.

Comments

• BillieCDD
    BillieCDD Member Posts: 9
    First Comment

I am happy for you!

I need some tips, but so far I learned to cut up the food for DH and give small portions throughout the day. Also tell him what it is.. if I forget he may say he does not like it, even though he used to LOVE it.

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Ladypeewee I rejoice with with you. Your such a good wife and caregiver.
  • harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,365
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes
    That is wonderful news.

Peewee seems to like to drink his calories; I recall your posts about his consumption of Coca Cola. I wonder if swapping out his Yoohoo for an Ensure (or similar product) twice a day would be better for his nutrition. 

HB
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    That's a win for sure. I'm glad for both of you.
  • ladypeewee
    ladypeewee Member Posts: 62
    Eighth Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments

BillieCDD

Sorry I have no tip. I have tried everything from cutting his food into small bites to begging him to eat, to blending his food. He always says my belly is full, Or I just ate.

Sorry no help here.

• ladypeewee

Toolbeltexpert

Thank you I try to be a good wife.

• ladypeewee

Harshedbuzz

Yes I agree that Ensure would be better for him. If I was to buy him the Ensure he would still drink more than 2 a day, like he did when he was drinking chocolate milk. He drinks the Yoohoo 2 cans at a time. He drinks a case a day. So there is no way I can afford the Ensure.

• ladypeewee
    Ed thank you for your reply.
  • Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,680
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Glad he is eating for you, know that helps you a little.
  • Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Hello lady peewee, I have been thinking about you so much and wondering how you are getting along.   It is good to hear that Peewee is willing to take a little food; that must feel a bit of relief for you.

Peewee can continue to drink his YooHoo during the day; but perhaps you can substitute two or three cans of Ensure instead of YooHoo during the day.   Sadly, YooHoo does not have anywhere near the same nutrition that Ensure has.  For instance; YooHoo has only 2 gms of protein per serving; Ensure has 96 gms. Ensure also far out distances YooHoo on vitamins and minerals needed to sustain a person.  You are right; Ensure is much more expensive,  but there may be help in obtaining the Ensure.

NOTE:  The SNAP program and Food Stamps will indeed pay for Ensure as it has a nutrition label instead of a supplement label. 

Abbot company that makes Ensure also has a program for obtaining free Ensure through their Patient Assistance Program if one meets financial criteria regarding income.

https://static.abbottnutrition.com/cms-prod/pathwayreimbursement.com/img/PAP Application Final.pdf

Medicaid in some states will cover orally ingested Ensure, (other than tube or IV feeding), if criteria is met; others do not.

If Peewee is considered a candidate for Hospice at this time, some Hospices will cover the cost of such supplements; those that do not can assist in locating entities that can do so. Hospice will also provide an RN, Social Worker and Bath aide as well as all equipment at no charge when they come on service.

I am so very sorry for all that is happening.   You are a very good, thoughtful and loving wife; Peewee is blessed to have you by his side.

Please let us know how things are going and importantly, how you, yourself are doing.

We will be thinking of you and we truly do care,

J.

• ladypeewee

Sayra

Thank you for your reply .

• ladypeewee

Jo C.

Thank you for your reply.

I will be calling Hospice when the time comes, However Peewee is not ready for them yet.

As of right now we don't qualify for food stamps or medicaid.

So my only option for help with the Ensure would be the Abbot company so I will check that out. Thanks for the link.

• ladyzetta
    ladyzetta Member Posts: 1,028
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Lady.

That is a very sweet picture, Thanks for sharing. Hugs Zetta 

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia