Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Hiccups(2)

Seems when I problem solve one issue, another one pops up.  DH caught the flu after Thanksgiving and with his fever came the hiccups.  Now that he recovered from the flu the hiccups are still a problem.  He gets them several times per day and they sometimes last an hour or so.  Nothing I try seems to get rid of them.  Has anyone experienced this? Cause/Solution? 

Also, after the flu, he now has trouble swallowing and has had several outbursts.  His PCP suggested increasing his Seroquel.  Will see if that helps...but it does seem that the flu caused him to decline in these areas.  He did have a flu shot in September, but guess his immune system is just so compromised.

Comments

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Kensie I have had bouts of hiccups in the past. I found I somehow was getting like an air bubble in between my diaphragm. I could tighten my stomach muscles and get a Littles burp and that fix it. I can't imagine trying to explian that to a pwd. I also don't know if  is the trouble. I am wishing you help.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Kenzie, I know hiccups are not fun. I had a period in my life (long before covid) where I also had hiccups that lasted like that. In my case, we never found out what caused it. One day they just went away after weeks of fighting it. I hope his fades away too. Wish I had something to offer you, but I don't.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more