Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Placement before talking with Elder Care lawyer

A facility I'm considering has available space. The earliest appointment I can get with an ECL is the end of January. If the situation warrants, is it better to wait for consultation with lawyer  or proceed with placement options. As best I can tell care will be private pay. Wish there was more available information to help.

Comments

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

I am not a lawyer and can't offer that information. What I can say if it's time to place and you can do it I wouldn't wait especially if it's your number 1 choice. One thing I learned about the money thing is whether its joint or not, and that goes by whose name is on the account, if he has a seperate account in just his name and you can accessit i would use that fund first.I think it matters more to see a cela if your going the Medicaid route. I do not know if you have all the other necessary documents. Dpoa with hippa clause ect. I had seen a cela and thought that going the Medicaid route was my first choice till I learned it really limited my choice of where I could place my dw, then plan b kicked in I have my house listed for sale and if things work out I will be able to fund her care for another decade and still find a small house near where she is.

I can always go back to Medicaid if the money runs low but that would be plan c.

I will be interested in what the lawyer folks have to say, I do know that they will want to know where you live before they can give you any help as things differ state to state.

This is never easy and I hope it goes well for you.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

If this place is at the top of your list, I think you probably should take it. If you think Medicaid is in your future, make sure they have a Medicaid bed available. But be aware that if you do place him, you will not have him home for Christmas. And you might want to check whether or not they have a problem with covid. Of course a lot depends on where he is in progression, and what it is doing to your health to have him home. Whatever choice you make, please don't second guess yourself.

Stewart's advice to use his money is solid advice too.

• JoseyWales
    JoseyWales Member Posts: 602
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes

You do what you need to do. 

I don't know your state or age or any details, so what I'm about to say MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.

For ME, placement before putting some financial things in place could have cost us almost all of our saved retirement accounts. BUT DH and I are in our 50s, he wasn't yet on Medicaid, and almost all our retirement savings were in his name. It took me 5 months and a lawyer to get us in a financial situation that protected the retirement savings. I'm sure someone can explain it better, but the first day of placement (or first day hospitalized, if person goes directly from hospital to placement) becomes the "snapshot" date for Medicaid. Your financial situation is frozen at that point.

Again - our age (under 65) and our state and lots of other factors came into play. Every state is different in how they handle Medicaid. There's no way that anyone on here can tell you what it would look like for you and your LO. That's why we suggest seeing an attorney early on.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Excellent points, Josey. And yes, it really is critical to see a CELA if you haven't done so already.
  • CherylWashington
    CherylWashington Member Posts: 2
    First Comment
    It's understandable that you want to find the best option for your elder care needs as soon as possible. However, consider consulting with an Elder Care Lawyer before making a decision on placement, as they can advise on legal matters related to care options, financials, and potential future needs. The [URL="https://puschnguyen.com/workplace-injury/"]Workplace Accident Attorneys[/URL] may also be able to assist you with the legal aspect of this process, as they have experience in most sensitive cases.
  • CherylWashington
    CherylWashington Member Posts: 2
    First Comment
    It's understandable that you want to find the best option for your elder care needs as soon as possible. However, consider consulting with an Elder Care Lawyer before making a decision on placement, as they can advise on legal matters related to care options, financials, and potential future needs. The [url=https://puschnguyen.com/workplace-injury/]Workplace Accident Attorneys[/url] may also be able to assist you with the legal aspect of this process, as they have experience in most sensitive cases.
  • JJAz
    JJAz Member Posts: 285
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments

Call the attorney's office and beg a pity case.  Tell that that you have an emergency situation where you are going to have to sign a contract for memory care facility for an AD patient.  If you're not the "suck up" or "chat em up" type, enlist a friend.  Worth a try.

• nanax2
    nanax2 Member Posts: 4
    First Comment
    Tried all your suggestions, not no go. Actually had to change my chemo treatment to keep the appointment I have.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more