Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Rough couple of weeks

My wife has been on a pretty effective med cocktail for about 3 months. That is about how long they usually last before her brain figures a way around them and returns to some of the behavior that got them prescribed. Hallucinations, agitation, confusion, depression, anger. all abated with meds slowly creep their way back as her brain gets used to the meds. She has an appointment with her neurologist on Thursday and she will have another med update. I care for her 24/7. What works for us is I just bring her everywhere I have to go. Besides the stores I really only go 2 places, work and golf. That works for us. Her meds are both for her quality of life and for me it makes her easier to manage. Everyone I golf or work with is extremely nice to her and engage in conversation with her at her level so it's great for her socialization and it gives her a sense of routine. The discipline to get up early and go somewhere is also a good routine for her to be on. Anyway the last couple of weeks have been emotionally exhausting. My patience and B.S. tolerance have gone way up due to daily exercise, meditation and breathing exercises. I started this post to bitch about frustration but typing these words not only eliminated the frustration but I actually feel pretty good how I am handling it. I have been reading a lot about philosophy and spirituality and through meditation I feel I have a sense of purpose in all this to be a better human being. As horrific as this experience has been I feel good for being able to grow in a positive way. The power of being part of this group is amazing. I wanted to bitch and I wound up putting myself in a great mood. Thank you all for being here !

Comments

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,776
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    Thanks for the lovely post....
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Bill, whatever comes your way, you're gonna nail it, just like you have been. It makes ,e feel good to hear when people take something bad, and find a way around it. I'm glad for you. Thanks for the post.
  • MaryG123
    MaryG123 Member Posts: 393
    100 Comments 5 Likes
    That’s so encouraging.  Thank you Just Bill!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more