Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Prosopagnosia

This is my first post on the website. My DW had a stroke seven years ago, and the cause was a buildup of protein in the brain (amyloid angiopathy). The doctors said that this it would more than likely lead to Dementia. I have been tracking her symptoms on a Dementia Severity Scale and have seen her move into a Moderate Dementia condition. About eight months ago, she had an episode that made us think she was having another stroke, but a few MRI's have suggested that was not true. At that time, she started to believe that I was not her husband (we have been married 56 years) and that this was not her house. 

I did search on this website and read where Capgras Syndrome can be a possible affect. Our neurologist has never mentioned that, although we have described the delusions. 

I have also noticed that her vision seems to have been affected and that facial blindness called Prosopagnosia can be a related symptom. She has trouble telling time and often gets up in the middle of the night and dresses, thinking it's late in the morning rather than early evening. 

We have developed a strong support system, but we continue to see new symptoms occur. As others on this website have mentioned, it causes a great deal of stress. We know that we need to adapt because she cannot do so. 

Based on this background, do any of you who have experienced these symptoms have suggestions and/or strategies that you have found effective?

I really appreciate any help you can provide. This is a great website and has already been very helpful to me and my family.

Comments

• Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    Welcome to the forum.  Sorry you need to be here, but having found us you’ll find both practical information and empathy in large measures.
    My DW was diagnosed with cerebral amyloid angiopathy (CAA) and Alzheimer’s almost six years ago.  As symptoms arise, one can’t distinguish whether they’re attributable to CAA or AD.  That said, with disease progression, my DW experienced the classic dementia issues of wanting to go home and no longer recognizing me as her husband.
    The issues you describe, including lack of orientation to time, are classic AD/ dementia symptoms.  They’re heart-breaking and challenging.  The overriding principle for managing through is to enter the PWD’s reality.  You won’t succeed in arguing facts:  I am your husband, this is our house.   Instead, you acknowledge and then deflect.   There are excellent videos from Teepa Snow on handling PWDs wanting to go home that you may find helpful.

Vision issues may are often not opthalmological in nature but difficulties in processing visual information.  AD affects spatial perception, the ability to distinguish colors, and other facets of visual understanding.
    As you know, neurocognitive diseases are progressive, so you’ll continue to encounter new symptoms.  Keep reading here and sharing your journey—there’s almost nothing you’ll encounter that someone here hasn’t also experienced and dealt with.
  • Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,308
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    JLB43 wrote:

I have also noticed that her vision seems to have been affected 

Welcome JLB.  PWDs (persons with dementia)  develop visual agnosia, they begin not to recognize things and people.  Their perception becomes distorted, even though the eyes are functioning normally.  This is common.

Iris L.

• JLB43
    JLB43 Member Posts: 10
    5 Care Reactions 5 Likes First Anniversary First Comment
    Thank you for the quick response and information. While this is a difficult journey, it helps to know that others have experienced it as well.
  • alzsarah2
    alzsarah2 Member Posts: 12
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Comments
    Teepa Snow is amazing! There is a great book called Creating Moments of Joy Along the Alzheimer's Journey by Jolene Brackey. She offers many different ways to respond to difficult behaviors that can be very humorous.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more