Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

“Don’t Forget Me”

That’s what my DW said to me a couple nights ago, as I was putting her to bed.
I assured her I wouldn’t, and asked her not to forget me.
Her reply?  “I never will.”
This, from my DW who doesn’t know my name or our relationship.
Beautiful and heart-breaking.   Reminds me, in a new context, of the Maya Angelou line that people will forget about what you tell them or what you did, but they won’t forget how you made them feel.

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,726
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

I know I'm sensitive to every heartbreak right now, but yes indeed, i imagine that tugged at your heartstrings Jeff. I've been wondering how you were. Give that sweet dog a pat from me.

another great one from Maya Angelou is that there are two things every woman needs: a lacy black bra and a cordless electric drill

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Jeff, I know how these type of interaction tug at your heart. Similar to you DW no longer knows my name or our relationship but I always take comfort in the smile that come to her face when she sees me & trust she still has in me. Recently she has been introducing me to people as her mother.
  • Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Jeff,

What a poignant post!  DH and I are long past any meaningful conversation; I can barely elicit any response from him.  I struggle to remember what his voice even sounded like and that makes me sad. Cherish your loving exchanges.  

HOWEVER, on a lighter note, I had a good laugh at M1’s Maya Angelou advice.  I have never, ever owned (or coveted) a lacy black bra, but I bought myself a cordless drill several weeks ago…..Merry Christmas to me.  I promptly hid it from my son-in-law with the sticky fingers.  

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,726
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    It's never too late Beachfan! But one out of two ain't bad...!
  • Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,444
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions

When we got married 47 years ago DW came with a full set of tools and the plainest most ordinary underwear. I owned an iron, she owned a drill.   Our first Christmas 1975 I presented her with bright red underwear.  That started a tradition until she was properly outfitted.  Some sets she described as "recreational (bedroom) attire"

Many years later I took our two daughters   8 & 10  'Nightgown shopping " for Mother's day I showed a lacy black négligée  and asked the girl's what they thought  My 10 year old answered 

Mommy would wear that at night but she is always wearing something comfy and warm in the morning  

Just in case you thought you were fooling the children

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney