Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Merry Christmas and Farewell

I’d like to thank all of you for the incredible help you gave me during the last few years of caregiving for my husband. The tips, encouragement, and problem solving were invaluable because they weren’t available anywhere else except from people who actually experience this horrendous disease. Special thanks to Ed, Crushed, Lady Texan, and M1 for their specific revelations and amazing caregiving. 

My husband passed away November 5th after an unexpected sudden decline from a spinal compression fracture. His body gradually shut down and he passed peacefully in his sleep. I’m so grateful for the time I had with him, even including the caregiving time with all the horrors. He is still the love of my life. Best wishes to all of you. Even in the midst of caregiving, I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas.

Comments

• Hoot619
    Hoot619 Member Posts: 342
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions Second Anniversary
    I have to agree with you Pam, there are a bunch of wonderful people on here. I'm going thru my LO's passing as you are. I hope you can enjoy the  Holidays , I know it is going to be different but we have to trudge on. We have the good memories of earlier times, I wish you the best.
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,726
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

((Pam)).....Merry Christmas to you too dear.  Be at peace as you can.  I can only imagine how you miss him--but you did well by him, promises kept.  

You too Hoot, hang in there.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,726
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    PS you know it doesn't have to be farewell, unless you are feeling the need for distance.  There are plenty of stage 8'ers on these boards.
  • Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,680
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    I’m so sorry for your loss of your dear husband.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Pam, I have never hurt the way I do now, so I know it's very hard for you too. I'm so sorry. But we'll all make it, even though the special days are now the worst days. I hope you reconsider, and stay with the forum.
  • Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Pam, Merry Christmas and I hope for the best for you on whatever comes next.
  • toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Pam sorry for your loss I second the motion, hang around drop in.
  • Pat6177
    Pat6177 Member Posts: 444
    100 Likes Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions
    Pam, thanks for letting us know about your DH. My sincere condolences for your loss.
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Pam I’m sorry for your loss. I wish hope, peace, strength and comfort for you and your family in the coming days . Thank you for all the wisdom you shared with us! God bless you!
  • Katie Roo
    Katie Roo Member Posts: 30
    10 Comments 5 Care Reactions First Anniversary
    Pam, I am sorry for your loss. We all do the best we can, so rest assured you did, too.    This forum has been a God-send for me as we are just beginning this journey.  I'm sure that as you enter this next phase, they can be the support you need as others probably do not understand the various emotions associated with this awful disease.  Thoughts and prayers for you and your family.
  • eaglemom
    eaglemom Member Posts: 524
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I am so sorry to read this. My deepest condolences. But, this doesn't have to be farewell. You can always come on and chat, if it's not too painful for you. Be kind to yourself right now.

eagle

• David J
    David J Member Posts: 479
    100 Comments Third Anniversary

Pam, Merry Christmas to you too!  I lost Maria in August, so I know what it’s like. Yesterday was my birthday, and today is our anniversary. I used to love December. Take care and come back to visit. 

David

• ladyzetta
    ladyzetta Member Posts: 1,028
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

((((Dear Pam))))

I am one of the stage 8ers. I lost my DH 4 years ago this forum was a comfort to me during the hard times. I still read it daily I feel we are all friends and are here for each other. Even for the stage 8ers. The stare 8ers have a lot of good information to share. Take good care of yourself and remember we are still here. Merry Christmas. Hugs Zetta 

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more