Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Memories(3)

Crushed
Crushed Member Posts: 1,444
Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions

They say stop and smell the roses, so today I stopped and thought about my life with DW

I met her more than 50 yeas ago, a little wisp of a girl  with a brilliant mind and a titanium backbone , or as my mother called it "a whim of iron".  Unstylish to be sure, a math major with two scientists for parents. 
But I was no dreamboat, I can't dance and had few social skills.Shreck?
June 1972 She agreed to go out with me since  I respected and supported smart ambitious women. 
Then her mother found out I could cook and she thought I had the "right stuff ".   
By December  I realized I had found my princess.  On Christmas 1972 I asked her to marry me.  she was horrified (she was only 20) but said yes.  It was a marvelous fit of two very different people .  I had a pressing iron and she had a soldering iron.  She said she needed a wife would I take the job. 
And we made it work.  We shared the work fairly and in unusual ways.  I had a shirt that said "worlds greatest diaper changer"  I built  a kitchen and laundry sized and arranged for me. She made the computers dance,  I made my career as a law professor and she was a pioneer in medicine and computers..  we raised two fabulous daughters 
And just as we reached the Victory lap for her, Alzheimer's hit.

She was 58,  By 65 She was in memory care where she is 5 years later. I have been in therapy for 5 years to see this as a glass half full and not half empty.  We had a fun life as she said
 " whats the difference between a fancy formal dress and a sexy nightgown?  Just close the door! "
I'm glad to be among friends
love really is all you need 

Comments

• ladyzetta
    ladyzetta Member Posts: 1,028
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Crushed,

That was beautiful and sad at the same time. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. You love your DW with all your heart and it shows, with all the beautiful things you say about her.  Hugs Zetta 

• Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,444
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions
    I bought her a bright red wheelchair for Christmas.  Walking has become just too difficult 
    She still eats her ice cream 

• Arrowhead
    Arrowhead Member Posts: 361
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

Your journey is a lot like mine. 

My wife and I had our first date in July 1972. The next day I started telling people, “I found the girl I’m going to marry”. We were both 17. We married in October 1976. She worked 37 years at AT&T, were she had several technical jobs, the last as a business phone troubleshooter. In January 2013, she reported memory loss to her doctor. By late 2015 she started having trouble remembering how to do her job. In July 2016 she was diagnosed with Alzheimer’ at the age of 62. She’s now 68 and is still at home but there’s no telling how much longer that can last. 

• Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 683
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary
    Crushed, what a beautiful recount of your romance and life with your wife. Thanks again for sharing!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more