Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

My neurology appointment today

Iris L.
Iris L. Member Posts: 4,308
Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I had a follow-up visit with the neurology nurse practitioner.  A few weeks ago I did Neurotrax, which is a computerized cognitive testing program.  I was in the green range (good) for most domains, but in the yellow range (caution) for short term memory and executive function--basically the same as before, a few years ago.  This is in keeping with my diagnosis of cognitive impairment not otherwise specified.

The np asked me about anxiety.  I told her I feel anxious when I don't complete my daily tasks, which is just about every day, so every day I feel anxious by the late afternoon.  She made a recommendation for l-theonine.  But I know that the only relief will be to stay in my bubble so that I can limit the demands placed on me.

On another thread, mention was made of mailed solicitations.  I have gotten and still get many.  I had to make a decision to support only a few charities, and to ignore the rest, even though they are all worthwhile.  My mind just cannot handle a lot of mail.

Also, something interesting but kind of frustrating at the same time, regarding too much mail.  I had complained that I never got the second covid stimulus money.  Just the other day I came across a government debit card from January 2021.   It was lost in one of my many piles of mail.  I wonder if it is still good?

I want to add that I still do not have a specific reason for my cognitive impairment, hence the term, not otherwise specified.  I have several possible etiologies, such as systemic lupus, anticardiolipin syndrome, hypertension, chronic fatigue syndrome, and sleep apnea, either singly or in combination (most likely).  Often, members indicate that they are waiting for a precise diagnosis before they feel they are ready to take a step.  But a precise diagnosis may never come, at least, not during the lifetime.  We have to take steps based on how our lives are, not solely on a diagnosis.  The diagnosis just confirms what we are seeing in our everyday lives.

Iris

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,726
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

The stability in the testing sounds reassuring Iris, I'm glad for that. I'll have to read about l-thionine. 

there used to be an old med school joke that someone without a diagnosis just hadn't been worked up yet. Agree that they are not always helpful!

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Iris, I would consider it a huge win to have them come up with the same thing they did years ago. I'm happy for you, and I know you are living the lifestyle to help with that.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Iris L. wrote:

Just the other day I came across a government debit card from January 2021.   It was lost in one of my many piles of mail.  I wonder if it is still good?

Iris, the company I retired from reimburses us (both my wife and me) for part of what we pay for Medicare Part B. It wasn't long ago that like you, I found a long lost piece of mail that belonged to my wife. It had a check for $1,000.00 in it. I called the place that handled making the payouts, and explained what happened. They verified that the check had never been cashed, but it was no longer any good. But they mailed out another check within a week or so as a replacement. Just thought that might make you feel a little better. I hope they do the same for you.

• loveskitties
    loveskitties Member Posts: 1,078
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Hi Iris,

According to a report about the time the cards came out:

Once you activate the debit card, the money will remain accessible to you. Money on the card will not be returned to the government unless you return your card to MetaBank, according to the IRS.

If you have not activated the card, give the phone number for activation a try.

Glad to hear your testing is holding steady...you do a great job of self managing to be the best you, you can be.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,776
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    thanks Iris...sounds pretty good
  • Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 4,322
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Hi Iris,

Glad you had your appointment and that the tests were the same as previously.

I know what you mean about so much mail and charities asking for donations.  It can give you anxiety when you get so many.  But I think you're handling it well - just contributing to certain ones.

Take care and we'll see you on the Front Porch.

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Iris so glad to hear your test results have not changed. Sounds like a win and you are doing a great job taking care of yourself!
  • toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Iris that is certainly good news. Keep on keeping on is all I can say.
  • Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 683
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary
    Iris, that's wonderful to hear. I still don't know how you do it. You're amazing!
  • Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,308
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Dio wrote:
     I still don't know how you do it. 

I made a decision to become proactive instead of reactive.  Also, like the Beatles, "I get by with a little help from my friends," meaning my cyberfriends here on the message boards.  I wouldn't be here without help from all of you!  It's the only way!

Iris

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney