Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

This may be near the end

As I've mentioned before, my husband is bedbound and home with me.   I think his journey is about over.   I'm not sure.

He is no longer eating even though I offer, but don't force.  He sleeps/rests a lot.  He is losing his voice.  Only urinating once or twice a day.  No longer wants to sit up in bed.   Sometimes doesn't talk at all.  He has this white junky stuff in his mouth that I use a mouth swab to remove.  (Although he tries to bite it).  Not drinking, but giving him drops of water.   He's just not interested.  Moving him is painful.  

Luckily, when his voice is strong enough, he still says "I love you."   And he can smile at me and throw a kiss.  

I can't imagine being without him.

Comments

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

I am so sorry Judy, I am glad you have him home and I hope it's been working out. You sound like your doing a wonderful job for dh,  I wish I could tell you it will get better, but living without your spouse is undoubtedly hard. Sending you hugs that lift you up and that feel like they heal.

Stewart

• dayn2nite2
    dayn2nite2 Member Posts: 1,132
    Eighth Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    The white stuff in his mouth isn't thrush, is it?  If it is, please call hospice - they can give him something to help.  Thrush can cause him to have difficulty eating/drinking.
  • MaryG123
    MaryG123 Member Posts: 393
    100 Comments 5 Likes
    That has to be so hard for you Judi57.  I’m sorry.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Judi, I'm so sorry. Please contact a hospice agency for an evaluation. If he is accepted, they will be very helpful for both of you. Being in hospice does not mean the end is near. Some people have been on hospice for 2 years or more. They will provide just about anything you need, including a hospital bed if necessary. No charge for it.
  • ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,016
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions
    Judi, prayers for you and your dear husband. As the others have mentioned Hospice might be very helpful at this time if they aren’t already involved. You’re doing such a wonderful job of caring for him. You could probably use some support now.
  • Judi57
    Judi57 Member Posts: 61
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Comments

Update:    Yes, he is on hospice already.  We've been involved with them since October 28.  The weekend nurse came to the house yesterday evening and looked at him and did an evaluation.  She said that with all that is going on, that her estimate would be 1-2 weeks until he passes away.   

All of this is overwhelming.   Selfishly, I don't want to lose him, but it's the "him" I married I don't want to lose.   I don't always like the way he acts, but I still love the dementia "him."  The him whose eyes sparkle when he sees me, the him who says "hi hon" and the him who would still throw me kisses.  

With no children, and his family who is distant, this will be my grief that I will have to bear alone.  I know I will cry about stupid things as I'm doing now, but my soulmate will be gone,  My only friend, my protector, my one true love.

As people have said, with dementia you grieve the entire process...when you discover your loved one has it and finally when he or she is gone.

May God give me the strength to make it through this.

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,680
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    I’m so sorry Judi.  It is so very hard losing those who cared for and loved us.
  • toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Judi you said something about your dh that reminded me of something my dw said the other day. She was crying and looking for her protector. Judi you are his protector and doing an a great job. It's hard for a pwd to express much but the kisses mean so much. I love you means so much.

My prayers continue for you and everyone here.

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Judi sending my prayers for you also. So happy for you that he can still tell you he loves you! That’s what you need to hang onto and get strength from. God bless you and your husband!  This road we are all on is so very hard! 

• Battlebuddy
    Battlebuddy Member Posts: 331
    100 Comments Third Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

So sorry you are at this point. So much of what you said was full of your love for him. What a blessing to still get those kisses . Lean on Hospice for these last few weeks. 

We will be holding you up in prayer . We are walking along side you. Stay strong! 

• ladyzetta
    ladyzetta Member Posts: 1,028
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    Judi.    We are with you you're in our prayers and God will give you the strength you need. Hospice may offer you grief support when your DH has passed. Hospice offered that to me. You will not be alone; we are also here for you. Hugs Zetta
  • Marie58
    Marie58 Member Posts: 382
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments

Judi, I'm so sorry. I'm glad hospice is there for both of you.

Did the nurse say what the white stuff is in his mouth. I've noticed that several times recently with my DH. I assumed it was unswallowed meds that they crush and stir into applesauce for him, but I've never been sure.

May the Lord bless you with the strength you need at this time and for the peace that passes understanding.

• Judi57
    Judi57 Member Posts: 61
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Comments
    Marie58 wrote

Did the nurse say what the white stuff is in his mouth. I've noticed that several times recently with my DH.

For him, it is the different secretions from his throat and sinuses.  Some mucous there too.  It's awful looking.   
    He did get a white funky tongue every now and then from the medicine.  He would hold the meds in his mouth too long before swallowing. 
    Thank you for the blessing.  

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney